From GT 720 to GTX 1050 graphics card on a Dell Xps 8700. Is this good, or problems?

Wosmack1933

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
I'm a bit new when upgrading my graphics card, but I've had experience being inside my computer before, so I'm not 100% noobish on it. What I like to know though, is I want to upgrade from a GT 720 graphics card to a GTX 1050... now I don't know all the specs you need but to start off My power supply says it's 460W, and looking at System Information, (based on a rumor that i may need to upgrade my bios) BIOS version says - Dell Inc. A11. Now it'll be awhile before I buy the graphics card, but before I feel confident to go for it, I need to know... am I good to go, are there any problems like needing to upgrade something else, or should I dare to risk something better, without having to upgrade anything else?

Solution
The "+12.0VA - 18A" and "12.0VB" are the important ones. That's because that's the 12V output, and CPUs and videocard pull their power from the 12V output. 18A and 16A is good, a 1050 should be no problem for you.

The actual installation itself is easy. First, download the newest Nvidia drivers. Then open the computer and remove the old card. Replace with the new card. Close the computer up. Boot up the computer and install the drivers. I suggest using the 'advanced/custom' option and then checking the 'clean installation' option. You can also uncheck things you don't need, like 3dvision/HDMI audio/etc. That should do it.

Wosmack1933

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
I'm not completely familiar with with computer talk, but I'll assume you mean the icon on the power supply supply that says -12.0V if so it says 0.3A, the others are just in case, + 3.3V - 17.0A, + 5.0V - 25.0A, +12.0VA - 18.0A, 12.0VB - 16.0A, +12.0VC - 8.0A, 100-240V~, 50-60Hz, 8.0A. If none of these are it then let me know how to find it, As for my RAM Installed RAM is at 12.0 GB. By the way the RAM was the first time I had to open the computer up, one of the sticks was dieing causing my computer to randomly shift to a black screen, I ordered some replacements & upgraded from 8 GB to 12 GB... unintentionally of course but it still worked. And yes, I'm aware of the risks of opening the computer. I'm confident I'll be safe now.

The "+12.0VA - 18A" and "12.0VB" are the important ones. That's because that's the 12V output, and CPUs and videocard pull their power from the 12V output. 18A and 16A is good, a 1050 should be no problem for you.

The actual installation itself is easy. First, download the newest Nvidia drivers. Then open the computer and remove the old card. Replace with the new card. Close the computer up. Boot up the computer and install the drivers. I suggest using the 'advanced/custom' option and then checking the 'clean installation' option. You can also uncheck things you don't need, like 3dvision/HDMI audio/etc. That should do it.

Solution

Wosmack1933

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
Yes, thank you both, I feel much more confident in getting one now.... now I just gotta come up with the funds, The main reason as to why I want to get this is Final Fantasy 15 on steam, as well as play other games that may come out in the future..

Jul 31, 2018

I have this same PC and want the same upgrade. Did you complete the upgrade and did it work? Did the card physically fit in the tower? Thanks so much