From GTX 970 4 GB to 2 x MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC worth it?

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Hey,

is upgrading from GTX 970 4 gb to 2 times MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC worth the upgrade?

the price is not to high for a 8 gb card so i figured why not take 2 of em?
Should i do it or not?
I know many ppl will say "buy the 1080 Ti" but it's not an option for my budget right now.

What i need it for :

-) Better/Higher Game Details
-) Games Developement

What i'm not sure is if they both can be crossfired (see link)

https://www.coolblue.be/nl/product/809343/msi-radeon-rx-570-armor-8g-oc.html

it's says something about it but with software instead? i'm kind of confused.

And will it give me better advantage in making games: rendering scenes, baking light, compiling shaders, and all that stuff?

Also, will i have 2 times 8 gb of ram, so in short 16gb of ram to use to game with with some games (not all of em i know) and also to use as video resources like for heavy programs like Maya, 3ds max, houdini etc ...
Or it will it use only 1 time 8 GB?

I understand both cards , GTX 970 & MSI 570 are almost equal to one other except for the VRAM.

Thx.

InvalidError

Titan
Very few games make proper use of SLI/CF and even in those that do you still won't get anywhere near 100% scaling from having two GPUs. Some games even have worse performance or outright won't work with two GPUs. If you want predictable, reliable, trouble-free higher performance that works all the time every time, get a single stronger GPU.

VRAM-wise, SLI/CF operate by copying game assets to both GPUs, so a pair of 8GB cards still only gives games 8GB to work with since GPUs accessing each other's memory over PCIe is far too slow to be viable. For GPU-accelerated applications, it depends on how the applications use the GPU.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Hmmm i can see a problem already,
i got a PSU of 850 watts , the card needs 450 to work,
so if i take 2 cards i need a 1200 watts psu minimum for every component to work fine?

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014

What Card you'd recomend for developing with?
That is my main use for it,
i sometimes game to when i got time,
but for now i want to focus on a good card that helps me with developing.
Thx.

Honestly keep the 970 as it has cuda acceleration which a lot of rendering programs benefit a good bit from. Autodesk software runs A LOT better on nvidia. If you can look for an older quadro card that has about the same raw performance as your 970 but it will have a lot more vram and optimized drivers which help a lot.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Developing doesn't really help us.

What kind of developing?
Buildings like skyscrapers and offices?
Web Developing?
3D modeling?

Etc. etc. We kind of need just a little bit more information that just "Developing" so we know exactly the use case for these cards and know what types of programs you are going to use them with and can determine if running dual GPU's for simply crunching of numbers and processing of data will be viable and useful to you.

ikaz

Distinguished
Whats your budget and have you consider either the 1070 (ti) or even 980 Ti ? I have seen GTX 1070 ti for around $300 on sale also evga has some B stock 980 TI for $300 as well and they have higher cuda cores.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014
Developing games from scratch, making the assets using programs like 3ds, maya, houdini, then import them in engines like unreal or unity.
So i don't know how to explain it at best but, a game requires a lot, the hardest/longest things are like simulations, for example liquid simulations are a pain, at least with some programs, try it with maya and it's like very slow, try it with houdini and its fast, like at least 1 fps trying to simulate every sec instead of maya doing nothing for like half an hour then you got extra frame and so on every half hour.
Then again it's a difficult choice, maya is easy to use compared to houdini.
What takes a lot of time is :
Baking lighting in large 3D envirs,
Compiling the shaders of those large maps,
and importing FBX files larger then 15 mb inside unreal, somehow is long to.
For the moment i'm still busy with the basic stuff,
making short assets like houses for example, cars, etc...,
but later i will need more complex things like animated meshes, complex scene destructions, simulations, videos and stuff.

I was looking at the quadro cards and i'd love one of those ... yumi yumi , that rtx 8000 with 48 gb of mem yumi yumi lol
the price is like 10 k lol.

Maybe one day ... ;)

Hope this helps.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
2X New 570 OC 8G = $450
2X 980 TI used= $380-$450

1 New 1080 GTX= $450
1 Used 1080 TI= $450- $515
1 New RTX 2070= $489+

A 570 Crossfire is a little faster than a 1070 GTX or a $230 980 TI so It's not the great value it seems. A single 1080/1080TI/RTX 2070 would be much more predictable and just flat out a better option for your money spent. Crossfire and SLI, in theory, should be great but API's have been slowly dropping support with the exception of Vulcan.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

For game development, the best bang for your buck looks something like this when you consider Performance/Efficiency per Dollar spent "Octane, Redshift, Vray".

RTX 2070>1070>1070 TI>1080 TI>1080>RTX 2080>Titan XP

That order shifts a bit depending on what you're doing. Gaming it's completely the opposite with the Titans being nearly last.

IamMike

Honorable
Oct 11, 2014

Here's a list:

Maya 2017
3ds Max 2017-2019
Mudbox 2017
ZBrush
Photoshop
Gimp
Substance Designer
Substance Painter