From Intel Core i7-6800K to i7-8700K. No increase in fps

marthinw

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
So my old motherboard died and I decided to go for the coffe lake setup.

I run ASUS MAXIMUS X FORMULA, Socket-1151 with the 8700k. I expected to see some fps increase in games like fortnite and WoW but there is 0 difference. I overclocked the 8700k to 4.9GHz btw.

gpu: 1080 ti
memory:HyperX Fury DDR4 2400MHz 16gp
power supply: Corsair RM1000i, 1000W PSU
asus bios verson: 0220 x64.

I also recently reinstalled windows and wiped everything on my hard drives.
I don't know that much about computers. I just want the best gaming experience.
Maybe I was wrong to expect any difference?

Solution
i7-6800k is also a 6 core processor.

So that is Broadwell-E, basically the top end of the Haswell family.
Coffeelake is the top end of the Skylake family.

Really you just went up a single architectural generation, typical gains between Intel generations are around 10%, and you gave up quad channel memory.

Keep in mind that HEDT always lags a generation behind. Letting the consumers be the guinea pigs.
If you're playing at high resolution there won't be a difference. The main differences are that 8700K can overclock higher and it has 2 extra cores. Most games don't really take advantage of the extra cores anyway. The IPC of the 8700K vs the 6700K is about the same. So under most circumstances while gaming there won't be any difference anyway.

Edit I thought it said 6700K.

The fps you get is limited by the cpu, the gpu, your monitor, and perhaps the game.
The 8700K is as good as it gets today. Your 6700K was not quite as good, but no slouch either.
Therefore, your games were not limited by your cpu.

GTX1080ti is as good as it gets today.
If you were graphics limited, you should expect no change.

Your monitor may be the limiting factor.
Some refresh at 60hz, others go as high as 144hz.

Lastly, some games have a cap on fps. 60fps is not uncommon.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
i7-6800k is also a 6 core processor.

So that is Broadwell-E, basically the top end of the Haswell family.
Coffeelake is the top end of the Skylake family.

Really you just went up a single architectural generation, typical gains between Intel generations are around 10%, and you gave up quad channel memory.

Keep in mind that HEDT always lags a generation behind. Letting the consumers be the guinea pigs.

Solution

marthinw

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
Thanks for the info guys. Now I know there is nothing wrong and im satisfied with that:)

The monitor I use is called Asus 24.5" LED G-Sync ROG Swift PG258Q. It caps at 240 hz. I know that is waaay more than I need and it has a small impact compared to the 144 hz ones. I average around 200 fps in fornite, but in some cities where there is a lot of buildings and players I can drop down to 90 frames. I thought the cpu would kick in there and stand out from my old 6800k cpu.