[SOLVED] From Intel to AMD

EARLtheSQIRREL

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
I am planning on switching my pc to AMD Friday and the only things I'm changing is the CPU and Motherboard. So my question is, other than deactivating my windows key and then reactivating it on the "new system" and backing up my drive, should I do anything before putting my drive in? The only things I can tell you that might help is, it is Windows 10 and wasn't upgraded from 7 and it is an m.2 drive.

PS: If this isn't the right place to ask, please steer me to where I can be helped. Thanks!

Solution
Save all your files and info. Make sure you have all your keys for (other) re-install and do a clean install of Windows when you make the swap. Will save a great deal of buggy headaches.
I am planning on switching my pc to AMD Friday and the only things I'm changing is the CPU and Motherboard. So my question is, other than deactivating my windows key and then reactivating it on the "new system" and backing up my drive, should I do anything before putting my drive in? The only things I can tell you that might help is, it is Windows 10 and wasn't upgraded from 7 and it is an m.2 drive.

PS: If this isn't the right place to ask, please steer me to where I can be helped. Thanks!
You shouldn't need to do anything, as much as yes it is a recommened thing esspecally going from intel to amd drivers... Swapping the drinve over and booting the pc for the first time on the new build windows 10 shoukd basically act like it's fresh imstalling and install all new drivers to the m.2 drive to support amd. From there i would see if you would even need to bother with formatting the drives because most pc wont have a issue woth the swap

EARLtheSQIRREL

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
You shouldn't need to do anything, as much as yes it is a recommened thing esspecally going from intel to amd drivers... Swapping the drinve over and booting the pc for the first time on the new build windows 10 shoukd basically act like it's fresh imstalling and install all new drivers to the m.2 drive to support amd. From there i would see if you would even need to bother with formatting the drives because most pc wont have a issue woth the swap
Yea, that's what I read on a post on another site but I wanted to make sure with people that I can trust especially when all I do when I'm not working is on my PC xD. Thanks for the reassurance though!

USAFRet

Titan
Be fully prepared for a clean install.
Going from Intel to AMD it is likely needed, but maybe it will work as is.

Being prepared does no harm, just in case.

There is no 100% Yes or No as to whether is will simply boot up. Or if it does boot up, you don't have lingering issues.

EARLtheSQIRREL

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Why are you changing now, and not waiting for 4th gen, in like 2 weeks?
I just want to try an AMD system out that shouldn't have as many bugs as a new release. Plus I don't wanna stress over thinking I'll buy a CPU at launch when in reality they will most likely be sold out before I wake up and then I'll be searching every day like the 30 series for stock. I know I may be over reacting but if ALL I'm going to be doing is gaming at 1440p and having a tab or 2 open on another screen, I don't think I would be using the CPU's like I should.

EARLtheSQIRREL

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
Be fully prepared for a clean install.
Going from Intel to AMD it is likely needed, but maybe it will work as is.

Being prepared does no harm, just in case.

There is no 100% Yes or No as to whether is will simply boot up. Or if it does boot up, you don't have lingering issues.
Oh yes. I would rather be over prepared than none at all. I haven't had any bad luck on PC stuff YET so I'm hoping it continues!

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I would check for ram compatibility between the systems, Ryzen benefits from higher ram speeds as well . sometimes a ram will be stable on one platform and complete nightmare on another good luck with the change

EARLtheSQIRREL

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
I would check for ram compatibility between the systems, Ryzen benefits from higher ram speeds as well . sometimes a ram will be stable on one platform and complete nightmare on another good luck with the change
I was thinking of that but wasn't sure. Hopefully it does work or I'll just have to order some witch I need to get 32gb anyways so that'll be a good reason to do that :D.

Reactions: Mike2009