"From Microsoft Background Task" in Processes...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nldazzard

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Every now and again when I open my task manager and check processes I see this "From Microsoft Background Task" and it has the windows logo as its little logo. Whenever I click on it (just a normal left click) it closes itself and doesn't come back... I'm scared this is a RAT or Bitcoin miner or something of the sort.

Malwarebytes comes back clean, AVG comes back clean. I'm very careful with my PC and I don't download anything from untrusted sources or visit websites I don't trust before scanning them on virustotal.com.

I'm quite nervous I've seen this a couple of times a while ago even though nothing seems weird with my PC. None of my accounts have gotten hacked and no RAT like signs.

Any ideas? Any and all answers much appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: Got a screenshot. https://gyazo.com/f30bc51752abfa16f6eaf49d4bea1f0e (Sorry if links aren't allowed)

EDIT 2: Opened the file location and its location is in System32 under backgroundTaskHost.exe.

EDIT 3: Also sorry if this is like a stupid ridiculous question or something. Just a process called "From Microsoft Background Task" seems really fishy to me. And if it is a legit Microsoft task they need to rename it to something less fishy imo

nldazzard

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

Thanks for the reply, I can't do that right now but I will when I can! However, I probably will have to leave the PC running in safe mode for a while to see if it comes up because even in a normal boot, it's not always there. It's shows up and disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS