Question From wifi to cable?

robruu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
Hello,

I have a fiber connected to Google Wifi at home. The thing is that I have a device in the garage that requires a wired connection to the internet. Theoretically, I could have pulled out a cable, but that would take time and is a bit messy.

I'm instead looking for a router/bridge/similar that can capture my wireless network and then offer a network port where I can connect my device.

Can it be done this way? If so, any suggestions for product(s)?

Thanks in advance

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

I have a fiber connected to Google Wifi at home. The thing is that I have a device in the garage that requires a wired connection to the internet. Theoretically, I could have pulled out a cable, but that would take time and is a bit messy.

I'm instead looking for a router/bridge/similar that can capture my wireless network and then offer a network port where I can connect my device.

Thanks in advance
It can be done. How much bandwidth does this device require? I ask because you could use 2.4 or 5Ghz and the bandwidth requirements determine which to recommend. 2,4 will typically penetrate walls better so may have a better signal in your garage.

Hello,

Thanks in advance
You could also go for a powerline setup. That is, if the power lines in the garage come from within the house.

robruu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
Hey, thanks for your reply.

I habe 250/250 connection and the WiFi reception in the garage is quite good
I'm not sure at this time, could you recommend one of both?

robruu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014

Hey, I tried
You could also go for a powerline setup. That is, if the power lines in the garage come from within the house.
Hey, I tried powerline but that didn't work for me unfortunately.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

kanewolf

Titan

What "device" are we talking about? A camera? A sprinkler timer? Car charger? Garage door opener? Backup server? You should have some idea of the bandwidth. Most "devices" have very minimal bandwidth requirements.
Although they are difficult to find, the Ubiquiti Loco M2 (2.4 Ghz) or Loco M5 (5Ghz) are good. They have directional antennas to help ensure the signal gets BACK to the WIFI source.
Asus routers have a built-in bridge mode that you could use.

Reactions: Corwin65

robruu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
What "device" are we talking about? A camera? A sprinkler timer? Car charger? Garage door opener? Backup server? You should have some idea of the bandwidth. Most "devices" have very minimal bandwidth requirements.
Although they are difficult to find, the Ubiquiti Loco M2 (2.4 Ghz) or Loco M5 (5Ghz) are good. They have directional antennas to help ensure the signal gets BACK to the WIFI source.
Asus routers have a built-in bridge mode that you could use.
Thanks, helped a lot.

English is not my primary language so I will try to explain.

I have solar panels and a 12kwh battery. The device I am talking about helps to balance the grid. Basically, the owner of the grid sends a command to the battery to push X kW into the grid. Hence I think the bandwidth need is very limited.

Any specific Asus router you can recommend?

Ralston18

Titan
Going back a bit - this:

"The device I am talking about helps to balance the grid. Basically, the owner of the grid sends a command to the battery to push X kW into the grid."

That seems like a process prone to end user error(s). What if too little or too much kW is pushed into the grid?

Is the "grid" a commerically available product or some homemade DIY setup?

What protections or safeguards are in place?

Network bandwidth/router to send commands could be the least of the potential worries.

Just wondering - no harm in raising the concern.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks, helped a lot.

English is not my primary language so I will try to explain.

I have solar panels and a 12kwh battery. The device I am talking about helps to balance the grid. Basically, the owner of the grid sends a command to the battery to push X kW into the grid. Hence I think the bandwidth need is very limited.

Any specific Asus router you can recommend?
That REALLY needs a wired connection, IMO. The communication is too critical for WIFI.

robruu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
Going back a bit - this:

"The device I am talking about helps to balance the grid. Basically, the owner of the grid sends a command to the battery to push X kW into the grid."

That seems like a process prone to end user error(s). What if too little or too much kW is pushed into the grid?

Is the "grid" a commerically available product or some homemade DIY setup?

What protections or safeguards are in place?

Network bandwidth/router to send commands could be the least of the potential worries.

Just wondering - no harm in raising the concern.
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. No offence taken!

Again, sorry for my lacking English but I will try to explain:

The setup will be installed by a certified electrician and it's a commercial product. I am afraid I don't have the technical knowledge about protections or safeguards, hence I'm paying a company that works with this all the time. Although, it's kind of a new market here in Sweden. Since we are having a lot of renewable (primarily wind but also solar) energi sources in our grid the frequency can change quickly and the grid owner pays for help to keep the frequency constant. A "normal " battery setup here is about 10 kwh. Basically a company gathers at least 100 of these so they control 1mw and then they use this capacity to balance the frequency.

I have a picture of the control box if you are interested?

Regards

robruu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
Forgot to say: the control box has a built in 4G which it uses if there is any problem with the network connection

If the garage wifi signal is good then it "should" work.

What you need is called a client-bridge. These used to be very common when tv and game consoles had ethernet but not wifi.

Now days they are rare but you will find many so called repeaters/extenders that will support client-bridge mode.
I do not keep up on these but you will find massive amounts of these devices. Almost all have ethernet ports and they will likely work in default repeater mode but it is best if you can turn off the wifi repeater part and just use the client-bridge part.

robruu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
I found a pre owned Asus AX55 which I bought and configured it as Media Bridge.

Very easy setup. However, the last question was "Get LAN IP Automatically?" And the two options were
1. Automatic IP
2. Manually assign

I chose number one and it seems to work for now. Was this the correct option to choose?

kanewolf

Titan
I found a pre owned Asus AX55 which I bought and configured it as Media Bridge.

Very easy setup. However, the last question was "Get LAN IP Automatically?" And the two options were
1. Automatic IP
2. Manually assign

I chose number one and it seems to work for now. Was this the correct option to choose?
The question is asking how you want the management IP for the AX55 defined. Option 1 doesn't require any thought on your part. If you don't obsess about IP of network devices, just leave it.

Ralston18

Titan
One thing I would do is to be sure that that company supports whatever network device or devices are installed and configured to manage the system. Via the control box or otherwise.

However, that may now be a bit moot as I understand Post #14.

All in all, hopefully straightforward and that everything will work as expected.

And do so safely without possible blame to end users.

Just a bit cynical sometimes....

robruu

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2014
I want to thank everyone for your help and inputs!

The solution with the WiFi router as a bridge works fine. I purchased a pre owned one for only 20 USD. However, I will in the near future invest in a cable connection since I'm planning to add cameras etc.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS