From win7 to win10, Tips and Tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hey guys, I plan on doing a clean install of Win 10 later today. I'm good on the install process but I'm looking for some pointers on just anything I may need to know as someone coming from Win 7 who barely touched Win 8. I'd consider myself a power user/ gamer. I do a lot of graphic designs and 3d renders.

It may come off as a bland/general question but are there any tips and tricks that people that have used it could give me to benifit my exprience or are the any pitfalls in the update? Like are there things that were often used in Win 7 that I may lose and have to change the way I do things in Win 10*

Thanks in advance for any contributions!

*Please no rude comments, just looking for advice*
*If I get no comments at all because of my bland question, I understand lol :)*

Solution
Prepare for disaster recovery

Know your existing license key.
Have a copy of the install media for your OS.
Have everything critical copied elsewhere and offline.
Consider DDU to remove your existing GPU drivers.
Of course, have a copy of those ready for reinstall.
Hello... identify and find the WIN 10 driver for any hardware device FIRST before starting a install.
1) MB-Chipset.
2) MB Audio chip.
3) Modem chip.
4) Video card
5) ETC

WIN10 Drivers may not be released on Older hardware and some other companies at this time.

USAFRet

Titan
Prepare for disaster recovery

Know your existing license key.
Have a copy of the install media for your OS.
Have everything critical copied elsewhere and offline.
Consider DDU to remove your existing GPU drivers.
Of course, have a copy of those ready for reinstall.

Solution

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Thanks for your response usafret

1. I've got my windows key
2. I've got the win 10 instalation on a usb for the clean install
3. My main SSD is only for OS, I plan to unplug the storage drives when i do the install just in case something crazy happens.
4. What is DDU, and why do i need to remove gpu drivers prior to a clean install?
5. I plan to make a usb stick with all upgraded drivers if Asrock has them for z77 boards lol.

Thanks for the input!

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Thanks for the response!

Why do I need to "remove" the OS from my main drive before I do a clean install? Do you mean I should format the drive with the diskpart tool within the advanced tools of the install media (I'm not even sure if they include tools on the install media for 10 like they did for 7)

If your using the free upgrade, then you have to do a upgrade install first, then activate and do a clean install.
1. Download, win 10 wifi driver, and graphics driver
2. check for any compatibility issues with the programs you really need.
3. If possible do a image backup of old OS first otherwise backup important files.

Hello... 1) If you have a BAD experience with your install... You can just plug your Original Win7 HD back in for computer use... AND so you don't Lose or Alter your original WIN 7 DATA.
2) All Windows install media have "Drive tools" on them... chose "Custom" install and "Drive options" .

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Oh sorry I missread your statement. I thought you said to "remove my os from my drive" oops

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Thanks for your response!
I will have all updated drivers ready.
I did the upgrade process on my laptop as I dont use it ever. Just to check it out. But on my main rig, if want to do a clean install, why do I need to do the upgrade first? I have my windows key, won't I just be able to input that and move along?

Also, I recently moved everyting importan to another drive and reinstalled windows 7 clean to prepare for win10. Not a big advantage to that lol, just always heard it would be an "update" so I wanted it to update a completly clean system if possible. Anywho I only have a hanful of programs on it that I don't mind losing. I have what I need to reinstal them later.
So I don't think I need a back up as is, theres nothing on my main drive really and I'll unplug my storage drives just in case.

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Thanks for the tip! I did originally have my docs and such remapped but I recently did a clean install of 7 and didnt bother with remapping yet since I was going to clean install for win10. Details are in a previous coment.

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

yes I understand what that means lol, I only missunderstood you earlier. I thought for some reason you told me to take win7 off of my drive BEFORE I procede with the win10 install. It sounded odd to me to suggest that since the clean install would take care of that.

Thanks for your response!

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Be cognizant of which USB port you are plugging your thumb drive into if you are installing from USB. I initially tried to install windows 10 from a USB3 port on the front of my case from a USB3 thumb drive... Windows continually asked me for a "driver disk" for hardware about 10 minutes into the install. It didn't say what device it needed drivers for, but research showed me that the USB3 ports on the front of my case were powered by a 3rd-party chip on my Asus motherboard and not by the primary USB controller in the chipset.

I eventually just installed from one of the 12 USB2 ports that the chipset controls and all was well. Just something to be aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.