[SOLVED] From Windows 10 Pro N to Windows 10 Pro

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
So my Windows 10 Pro N license just expired on my gaming pc. After some browsing I found out that my pc will reboot every 3 hours when Windows is not activated (kind of a dick move of Microsoft tbh, but it pushes you to buy a product key. So fair enough).

Since that the Windows 10 Pro N license keys are way too expensive and are not an option for me, i'll be downgrading to the Windows 10 Pro version. I have a key for this allready.

Just a few questions:

1. I made a backup of my entire system, but this backup is made in the 10 Pro N version. If I install the 10 Pro (non-N) version, can I put back the backup I made in the 10 Pro N version on the normal Pro version?

2. Where can I download the normal 10 Pro driver-operating-system-thingy?

3. Is there any data going to be lost after installing the made backup?

Solution
No, I wouldn’t say the key is 100% legal. I sent my pc over to someone I know when it arrived at my house. He could up the performance a bit and he could get me a free windows. But that was some kind of cracked license key.

I want to downgrade to the normal Pro version for the mediaplayer that the N-version is missing. It gave me issues with GTA V and PremierePro (which I was able to fix), and CS:GO isn’t even close to booting up. I suspect that that has something to do with the media features missing as well.
"cracked license key" from your friend - That indicates 3 things:
  1. It is absolutely not legal or valid
  2. You need to purchase your own Win 10 license (or let it run Unactivated, accepting the watermark in the...

Wolfshadw

Titan
To my knowledge, the only Windows license that is capable of expiring is the Enterprise version when it can no longer reach it's authentication server. If you are truly running Windows Pro N, then:

1) Yes. Reinstalling from a backup will break your system. The reason for the "N" version was to remove some software so embedded in Windows that to restore from a backup would simply fail.

2) Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

3) Since attempting a backup from a Windows 10 Pro N backup would likely break your system, only a format and clean install would restore it to functioning. Of course, this means that all data would be lost.

Recommendation:
Use the Windows 10 Media Creation tool to create a new Install media.
Back up your data files (documents, music, videos, bookmarks, e-mails, etc...) to a safe location
Start the installation of Windows 10 and format ALL drives in your system.
If you have more than one storage drive, cancel the install and remove all drives save for the one designation (by you) as the OS drive and restart the install.
Note: You can run Windows 10 without activation at no financial cost. You said you already have a key but if, for whatever reason, that key is not accepted, you can still run Windows 10 with only some minor limitations (loss of some desktop customization features).
Once the install is complete, you can restore your data files and reinstall your software programs.

-Wolf sends

1. I made a backup of my entire system, but this backup is made in the 10 Pro N version. If I install the 10 Pro (non-N) version, can I put back the backup I made in the 10 Pro N version on the normal Pro version?
Restoring system backup - means entire system is restored. If you restore Windows 10 Pro N system backup, then you get Windows 10 Pro N.
2. Where can I download the normal 10 Pro driver-operating-system-thingy?
Drivers are the same. Windows 10 Pro N - is essentially same Windows 10 Pro but without windows media player and associated software packages.
3. Is there any data going to be lost after installing the made backup?
You get back all data from your backup. It is likely to overwrite any existing data.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
So it's safer to just give in and buy a Pro N key but it's cheaper to install the normal Pro with the risk of losing all my data?

(My CS:GO isn't starting up either. Something to do with the Pro N version as well?)

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
To my knowledge, the only Windows license that is capable of expiring is the Enterprise version when it can no longer reach it's authentication server. If you are truly running Windows Pro N, then:

1) Yes. Reinstalling from a backup will break your system. The reason for the "N" version was to remove some software so embedded in Windows that to restore from a backup would simply fail.

2) Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

3) Since attempting a backup from a Windows 10 Pro N backup would likely break your system, only a format and clean install would restore it to functioning. Of course, this means that all data would be lost.

Recommendation:
Use the Windows 10 Media Creation tool to create a new Install media.
Back up your data files (documents, music, videos, bookmarks, e-mails, etc...) to a safe location
Start the installation of Windows 10 and format ALL drives in your system.
If you have more than one storage drive, cancel the install and remove all drives save for the one designation (by you) as the OS drive and restart the install.
Note: You can run Windows 10 without activation at no financial cost. You said you already have a key but if, for whatever reason, that key is not accepted, you can still run Windows 10 with only some minor limitations (loss of some desktop customization features).
Once the install is complete, you can restore your data files and reinstall your software programs.

-Wolf sends

I know that I can just run my PC at no cost, only losing some customization features. But I read somewhere that my PC will reboot after 3 hrs when 2 weeks pass with windows not activated. Is this true or is this some internet mumbo jumbo?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I know that I can just run my PC at no cost, only losing some customization features. But I read somewhere that my PC will reboot after 3 hrs when 2 weeks pass with windows not activated. Is this true or is this some internet mumbo jumbo?

Pure mumbo jumbo. I know someone who has been running Windows 10 without activation coming up on two years now. The only time it requires a reboot is after an update.

-Wolf sends

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Ok, no booting problem.

But I was thinking today, and came up with this:

I’ll take a new M.2 SSD, and take out my old SSD from my pc. Then I‘ll install Win 10 Pro on that M.2 and boot my system. After that I’ll connect my old SSD to my pc (either with a SATA-6 to USB converter case or just with the internal SATA-6), and copy the nessecary documents and .dll’s to the M.2, leaving all the files in system32 for my windows boot and stuff for the Win 10 Pro N on that SSD, and deleting them. After that, I have all my docs and programs on my M.2 SSD, and i’ll have a spare SSD for documents or something.

Any idea if this works?

D

Deleted member 14196

No that won’t work. you want to back up your documents. No DLLs no apps none of that. You will need to install windows fresh in the new SSD and then copy back all your all documents. By the way how did you get N ? What makes you think it’s a downgrade to go to pro? It’s the other way around

I would say you were using a stolen windows key and it got deactivated by Microsoft

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
No that won’t work. you want to back up your documents. No DLLs no apps none of that. You will need to install windows fresh in the new SSD and then copy back all your all documents. By the way how did you get N ? What makes you think it’s a downgrade to go to pro? It’s the other way around

I would say you were using a stolen windows key and it got deactivated by Microsoft

No, I wouldn’t say the key is 100% legal. I sent my pc over to someone I know when it arrived at my house. He could up the performance a bit and he could get me a free windows. But that was some kind of cracked license key.

I want to downgrade to the normal Pro version for the mediaplayer that the N-version is missing. It gave me issues with GTA V and PremierePro (which I was able to fix), and CS:GO isn’t even close to booting up. I suspect that that has something to do with the media features missing as well.

USAFRet

Titan

"cracked license key" from your friend - That indicates 3 things:
  1. It is absolutely not legal or valid
  2. You need to purchase your own Win 10 license (or let it run Unactivated, accepting the watermark in the bottom right corner)
  3. You personally need to do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS and everything else. Yes, you need to do this. You have no idea what he actually installed or where it came from.

Cracked installs frequently come with all sorts of nasties preinstalled. Stuff that hides itself from whatever AV tools you're using.

Full wipe and reinstall of a valid OS. Direct from Microsoft.

And the regular Win 10 Pro is not a 'downgrade'.
Also, Win 10 Home will work just as well. Exact same performance, just missing a few corporate level features.
And a valid license for Home is much cheaper than a valid license for Pro.

Solution

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Pure mumbo jumbo. I know someone who has been running Windows 10 without activation coming up on two years now. The only time it requires a reboot is after an update.

-Wolf sends

Think i'll do this as well, because I allready found a way around being unable to change my wallpaper.

Still struggling to change my lock screen, because the method via Regedit and group policies didn't work for me.
Is there a way to change it?

USAFRet

Titan
Think i'll do this as well, because I allready found a way around being unable to change my wallpaper.

Still struggling to change my lock screen, because the method via Regedit and group policies didn't work for me.
Is there a way to change it?
No, we're not going to tell you how to circumvent the very tiny restrictions in an Unactivated Win 10.
Live with them, or pay for a valid license.

Please don't ask again.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i have used this laptop without license for almost 3 years now, it is pure bs, sorry for being this direct, but is bs, it does not restart ever, i use this laptop almost 24/7, no restarts

all you loose is the customization options for desktop and the watermark on the lower right corner telling you to buy the windows license

the windows 10n, should not become deactivated, call microsoft to confirm if the license is valid, the worst they can tell you is call the company that sold you the license

some of these licenses become deactivated when you change cpu or gpu, or add lots of ram, but you can tell it to reactivate itself and usually works, when it doesn't call microsoft asking for support on activating a valid windows 10 license

if they tell you your license is no longer valid, then your pc seller has to respond there, probably they sold you a fraudulent license for a volume license that has expired

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
i have used this laptop without license for almost 3 years now, it is pure bs, sorry for being this direct, but is bs, it does not restart ever, i use this laptop almost 24/7, no restarts

all you loose is the customization options for desktop and the watermark on the lower right corner telling you to buy the windows license

the windows 10n, should not become deactivated, call microsoft to confirm if the license is valid, the worst they can tell you is call the company that sold you the license

some of these licenses become deactivated when you change cpu or gpu, or add lots of ram, but you can tell it to reactivate itself and usually works, when it doesn't call microsoft asking for support on activating a valid windows 10 license

if they tell you your license is no longer valid, then your pc seller has to respond there, probably they sold you a fraudulent license for a volume license that has expired

I dont mind about the loss of those customization options, I found the way around customizing my background.

and the watermark dissappeared. It’s just gone. No idea why, I just temporarily removed my GPU to relocate my rgb fans.