[SOLVED] From Windows pc moving to Mac_experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenite38

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Although it doesn't seem to be easy, it's hard to find out how it work the change from pc use to the Mac I'm thinking of. What about running Windows programs through virtual machines such as Parallels Desktop or similar? I have been used to CorelDraw for years, which is only in pc version. Even on pc is very slow to my taste, what about some kind of those help programs? Does anyone have experience with it, or even with pc programs on Mac at all?
thanks for advice
Peter

Solution
Yes, you can run Windows programs in a virtual machine. Parallels and VMWare Fusion are popular paid options. Virtualbox is a free option. You'll have to buy a Windows license for any of them. I would highly recommend trying Windows 10 in free mode first before buying a license. So, you don't have to deal with the hassle of transferring a license until you settle on a VM. Also you'll want tons of RAM. So, it'll need to be build to order since it can't be upgraded.

Just note with any VM. You are sharing resources. The VM won't have the full performance of running Windows natively. While some of the VM's work pretty seamlessly and can keep Windows hidden. They still have some quirks. They also don't have low level hardware access for...

USAFRet

Titan
Easy or hard depends on you and you alone.
I know some people that would not blink an eye. I know others that would fall down screaming, trying to switch in either direction.

If you're going to run Windows applications anyway, why a Mac?

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
I would get accustomed to a Mac, especially if you are on the creative side. Adobe has a great program for software, been using it for years as a photographer. Most all software, especially for creatives are available for Mac. The Mac platform is actually much easier than a pc, its a more simple approach. You can run windows, but from my experience, would recommend getting accustomed to the Mac platform.

I used to use VMware on a Mac to run a pc program, I had to, as there was no Mac version of the software I was using. It worked. But things have come along way in the last ten years.

Check Adobe Creative Cloud. $10 a month.

I was raised on a Mac, went to PC, and looked forward to the day when I had the option to go back to Mac.

Yes, you can run Windows programs in a virtual machine. Parallels and VMWare Fusion are popular paid options. Virtualbox is a free option. You'll have to buy a Windows license for any of them. I would highly recommend trying Windows 10 in free mode first before buying a license. So, you don't have to deal with the hassle of transferring a license until you settle on a VM. Also you'll want tons of RAM. So, it'll need to be build to order since it can't be upgraded.

Just note with any VM. You are sharing resources. The VM won't have the full performance of running Windows natively. While some of the VM's work pretty seamlessly and can keep Windows hidden. They still have some quirks. They also don't have low level hardware access for some types of hardware acceleration. Plus the paid ones force you on a paid upgrade cycle everytime a new macOS comes out. A new and improved compatible VM comes out. Which is every year. Sometimes they also just randomly stop working (Parallels at least).

You can use Bootcamp. Then you can run Windows natively. Then you have to reboot each time to switch your OS. It's a pain. You can just run Windows. Then what's the point of the Mac.

You can run many Windows programs without a VM. Just install Winebottler. Then run the Windows programs directly. The problem is it is hit or miss on program stability. It's certainly worth a try before going with a VM.

Then there is alternative software. There are some good graphics programs for the Mac. Not just Adobe Photoshop. There is Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher (beta) and Pixelmator Pro.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.