[SOLVED] From work PC to personal PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2021
I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 Enterprise from work. I just left the company, but they allowed me to keep the laptop for personal use.

Right now, it has a couple of restrictions (I need to press a button to have administrator access, I can't change update settings, et cetera). I would like to reformat it and use it as my own computer without any restriction or any remaining link with the company. I have some questions though:

1. How do I do it? Do I make a bootable USB drive? Do I use the ISO file from Microsoft.com? (I am a long-time Mac user so I don’t know how this works in Windows – I only installed Windows with Boot Camp…)
  2. Will I keep Windows 10 Enterprise, or will it become Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home? (Doesn't really matter to me.)
  3. Most importantly, will I keep my licence? Or do I have to buy a new one?

Many thanks!

Solution
If the OS is in decent shape you may want to keep Enterprise and just create a new administrator user and start using that user. The extra button you're talking about is UAC. That can be adjusted (turned off) if you like in the Users section of Control Panel. You can always uninstall any extra work-specific programs you don't need. Does the system have a licensed (non subscription-based) version of Microsoft Office on it? If you use Office that would be another reason to keep the current OS.

It's possible that the BIOS contains a license for a particular Windows 10 version. Boot into BIOS and look around (don't change anything). Many times the info is on the first screen that comes up. If it does list a particular version of Windows...
If the OS is in decent shape you may want to keep Enterprise and just create a new administrator user and start using that user. The extra button you're talking about is UAC. That can be adjusted (turned off) if you like in the Users section of Control Panel. You can always uninstall any extra work-specific programs you don't need. Does the system have a licensed (non subscription-based) version of Microsoft Office on it? If you use Office that would be another reason to keep the current OS.

It's possible that the BIOS contains a license for a particular Windows 10 version. Boot into BIOS and look around (don't change anything). Many times the info is on the first screen that comes up. If it does list a particular version of Windows (Home or Professional), and you do decide to erase and start from scratch, be sure to install that version from the Windows installer USB.

Reactions: A-New-User1
Solution
If the OS is in decent shape you may want to keep Enterprise and just create a new administrator user and start using that user. ....
And the moment the builtin timout expires that copy of WIndows is going to try to reach the corporate activation server to renew its licence, and when it finds that that server no longer exists, will cease to function. Full wipe and reinstall is the ONLY way here.

And the moment the builtin timout expires that copy of WIndows is going to try to reach the corporate activation server to renew its licence, and when it finds that that server no longer exists, will cease to function. Full wipe and reinstall is the ONLY way here.
Huh?
Are you talking about KMS vs MAK? As far as I've experienced, the majority of small businesses use perpetual MAKs. If the company does use KMS then yes, it will eventually fall out of license.

If the company (or, more likely the IT department of said company) gave the laptop to the user originally, when it was issued, then they know full well what softwares and OSs are on it. The user is doing nothing wrong, nor breaking any laws, nor even going against Microsoft's licensing agreement by continuing to use the laptop as-is.

The only gotcha would be if the OS (and/or additional softwares) goes out of license 6+ months from now because the company was using a KMS licensing server to license the OS or other softwares.

Any chance of contacting the old IT dept and having them make you a local admin on this laptop?
The user said they 'press a button to have administrator access'. The only thing that does this, that I can think of is the UAC prompt. If this is the case, they already have admin access.
If this is not the case, and they don't actually have administrator access to the OS, then it's of little use to them without an OS wipe and reload.

USAFRet

Titan
The user said they 'press a button to have administrator access'. The only thing that does this, that I can think of is the UAC prompt. If this is the case, they already have admin access.
If this is not the case, and they don't actually have administrator access to the OS, then it's of little use to them without an OS wipe and reload.
From the OP:
"I would like to reformat it and use it as my own computer without any restriction or any remaining link with the company. "

HE wishes to do it.
It is the recommended thing to do anyway.

He now has a laptop that will, at most, cost him $100. Free hardware and a $100 valid Win 10 license.
What is all the pushback on this wipe and reinstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.