From XP to Win 7 System Builder?

Of course you can do a fresh install with Windows 7 64 OEM. There is no other upgrade path possible going form a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system. You can not upgrade you're windows XP to Windows 7 64 without a fresh installation of Windows 7 64.

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008

Thanks for the Reply Sir.

But this is a System builder one, don't they see you have XP Installed a registered?

I thought you would need the Upgrade?

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008

Dang!

You mean I canceled my pre order at Newegg for nothing?

I just thought cause I have an XP Pro System builder copy already, I could not upgrade with a System builder Win 7 copy.

Thank you Sir!

Dang it!

:cry:

Jonmor68

Distinguished
The choice is yours, the W7 upgrade will see the XP instalation and move it to a folder called Windows.old but you will still need to backup your data and reinstall all your programs.
So installing the OEM version will be similar to the upgrade, both need a clean instalation.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
You cant do the upgrade from x86 to x64, its a diffrent architecture and simply will NOT work.

There is nothing in the world to stop you buying an OEM licence though. It does not matter what licences you may or may not already own, (Unless its an upgrade licence ofcourse). But OEM licesnes will be registerd with that system, so if you intend on upgrading your computer alot, you may wish to shell out extra for the Retail.

Zerk

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Thank you guys!

Thank you so much!

I just thought M$ would have my Hardware or something Registered online and know if I was using a System builder one twice.

Anyway!

Thank you guys!

Very good help from you all.