[SOLVED] front 3.0 USB ports dont work,

silenthunt316

Prominent
Mar 12, 2020
good evening guys,

i just moved to a new house and i noticed the "USB4" connector, one of its prongs broke off and theyre not aligned, so i noticed that the front usb ports dont work. Do i have to replace the motherboard completely or is there something i can buy or do, to fix it?

any help will be much appreciated :)

Solution
ok no prob, my motherboard is a MSI Gaming Plus MPG Z390
OK...a couple things. First, it looks like there's another USB 3.0 header between the SATA ports and the angled notch in the edge of the board, it would be JUSB3. It's a right-angle connector. I can't be sure as I don't have a manual.

Also, by design one pin is missing in a USB header; it helps assure you don't put the connector in 180 out. So if that's the one you think is broken off...it's not broken off. You can very carefully straighten the other pins with a pair of needle nose pliers or a tiny screw driver and that might get you back in business using USB4.
good evening guys,

i just moved to a new house and i noticed the "USB4" connector, one of its prongs broke off and theyre not aligned, so i noticed that the front usb ports dont work. Do i have to replace the motherboard completely or is there something i can buy or do, to fix it?

any help will be much appreciated :)
A picture would be helpful...as would knowing what motherboard make/model you have.

It is quite likely repairable by a skilled tech, but you might also have another unused USB header on the motherboard that you could move the connector to. If it IS repairable you might have to balance repair cost against motherboard replacement cost....and bother.

ok no prob, my motherboard is a MSI Gaming Plus MPG Z390
OK...a couple things. First, it looks like there's another USB 3.0 header between the SATA ports and the angled notch in the edge of the board, it would be JUSB3. It's a right-angle connector. I can't be sure as I don't have a manual.

Also, by design one pin is missing in a USB header; it helps assure you don't put the connector in 180 out. So if that's the one you think is broken off...it's not broken off. You can very carefully straighten the other pins with a pair of needle nose pliers or a tiny screw driver and that might get you back in business using USB4.

Solution