May 8, 2022
I'm getting a new 360mm AIO today but, in my infinite wisdom, I neglected to double check my case would support it top mounted - it does not, so it has to be front mounted. What will be the ideal set up for this in terms of AIO fans pointing in or out of the front of the case and any rear and or top mounted fans? I currently have one rear exhaust fan and three front mounted fans whilst using my air cooler, so I have 4 fans that I would be able to use within the case.

I should also point out that I can only mount two fans at the top and one rear due to it being a Corsair Crystal mid tower case

Last edited:

Xavier Bouttier

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Ill let more experienced peeps reply re the fan setup for you. But can say from what i've seen and learned about AIOs is that front mounting or bottom mounting them severely reduces the life expectancy of the AIO itself, due to the volume of liquid decreasing over time and air impeding the pump mechanism, and also effectively reducing the heat extraction capabilities of the plate and cooler over-all.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
WHICH Corsair Crystal? There's about 4 different models(excluding color and finish).

<- airflow | fans | radiator | front panel, top and rear exhaust.
Or, you know... simply return the 360mm AIO for a 280mm(or 240mm) and front mount that. Should be enough room to allow you to mount the rad with the ports(where the barbs screw in) at the bottom.

I'd rather you just return the 360mm.

Jun 14, 2022
Ill let more experienced peeps reply re the fan setup for you. But can say from what i've seen and learned about AIOs is that front mounting or bottom mounting them severely reduces the life expectancy of the AIO itself, due to the volume of liquid decreasing over time and air impeding the pump mechanism, and also effectively reducing the heat extraction capabilities of the plate and cooler over-all.

As long as the tubes are long enough to allow the rad to be installed with the inlets on the bottom. Air bubbles and hose permeation shouldn't be a problem. Also helps to rotate your tower to make the air rise into the rad. Gamers Nexus has a video discussing this.