Front and back headphone jacks not working, HDMI audio works fine

jordyblue56

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
My front and back headphone jacks are not working on a computer I built this past summer. However HDMI audio works perfectly. When I plug speakers into the front headphone jack, there is also a loud static noise.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3, Ryzen 1700 processor.

Troubleshooting steps I have tried include...
- Making sure sound settings are correct
- Re-installing sound drivers
- Re-installing both Windows and Linux (Fedora) operating systems
- Updating BIOS

What could be wrong with my computer? What more troubleshooting steps could I try? Will an RMA be necessary?

Solution
HDMI audio is made by GPU (or iGPU), not a motherboard's sound card, so that has nothing to do with each other in terms of working or not.
Make sure sound chip is not disabled in BIOS, also check if it is properly listed in Device Manager and there are no errors listed there.
HDMI audio is made by GPU (or iGPU), not a motherboard's sound card, so that has nothing to do with each other in terms of working or not.
Make sure sound chip is not disabled in BIOS, also check if it is properly listed in Device Manager and there are no errors listed there.

Solution

In control panel open the Sound applet.

Check which is the default playback device and set it to the one you really wish to use, probably Speakers if you're using one of the 3.5mm output jacks.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Also test with the rear jacks first as they connect direct to the motherboard. The front jacks use a cable which has to be plugged into the motherboard and that adds another place that could have a problem so get it working at the back first, then check the front.

To add to the above, you can skip a couple of steps by right clicking the speaker icon at the bottom right and choosing playback devices. You end up at the same place as going through the control panel but it is quicker.