Front and rear audio jack create static in headphones

nikolovc77

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
My front audio jack recently started creating static in my headphones so I tried to plug them in the back and turns out it has static as well. This has never before happened. I have tried it with different headphones and it still has static. Please help.

Solution
Without knowing the details of those successes, I can only venture that it could be so.

Adapters can create some change in "fit and feel" that improves physical connectivity. I have used 3.5 mm extension cords a couple of times when the original 3.5 mm plug just does not fit tightly into the 3.5 mm port.

Adapters are easily found and generally inexpensive. Likely that you, family, friends may have an unused adapter or cable around somewhere. Ask.

No harm in trying.

Ralston18

Titan
No interim adapters, switches, extension cables etc. between the headphones and PC - correct?

Does the static ever stop at all? Any patterns to the static's occurrences? E.g., when conditions are warmer and more humid versus cold and dry. May be some static discharge. Do your ears ever get shocked? Especially while putting the headphones on or off?

If the headphones work elsewhere and different headphones have the same problem on your PC then the problem is indeed likely to be your computer.

Power off and open the computer case.

Check all audio related connections, cables, and cards. Be sure that all are fully and securely in place.

Look for anything else that may be loose, not fully seated, wires out of place.

nikolovc77

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

My headphones are directly connected to my PC. The static does not shock me it is a sound issue that I can hear not feel. Everything is connected properly. The static increases as I increase the volume. It doesn't really have a specific pattern it just happens when sounds play.

Ralston18

Titan
What happens if you go into the Sound > Playback devices > Headphones/applicable device > Properties?

Lots of tabs and associated settings: General, Custom, Levels, Advanced, etc..

Check the settings and experiment with one at a time. Could be some misconfiguration therein.

nikolovc77

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

Everything is normal enhancements(which was not recommended by Microsoft troubleshooter) are off and drivers are up to date

Ralston18

Titan
Without knowing the details of those successes, I can only venture that it could be so.

Adapters can create some change in "fit and feel" that improves physical connectivity. I have used 3.5 mm extension cords a couple of times when the original 3.5 mm plug just does not fit tightly into the 3.5 mm port.

Adapters are easily found and generally inexpensive. Likely that you, family, friends may have an unused adapter or cable around somewhere. Ask.

No harm in trying.

Solution