Question Front Audio connectors - very old case

Nov 13, 2021
I've a 12 year old acrylic PC case. its nothing spectacular technologically minded..

Its got front audio (headphones/speakers & microphone) and USB 2.0 I/O...

The front PCB has 2 cables for a motherboards USB headers - that's no issue.
The front audio is a cable to a 2.5mm male plug
The front microphone is a cable to a 2.5mm male plug.

The audio cables are designed to feed through the case to the rear I/O for audio and microphone.

I want to retain the back I/O's for speakers etc, and cut off the 2.5mm male plugs, and with an appropriate connector, plug them in to the cases current motherboard with HDAudioF plug.

I assume the speaker input jack cable has at least 2x wires for left and right, and up to 2 ground wires.
I assume the microphone input jack cable has at least 1x wire and 1 ground wire.

Any special wiring to a front HDAudioF / AC97 header connector ??

Is it that simple or have I overlooked something ??

Thanks in advance...

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I've a 12 year old acrylic PC case. its nothing spectacular technologically minded..

Its got front audio (headphones/speakers & microphone) and USB 2.0 I/O...

The front PCB has 2 cables for a motherboards USB headers - that's no issue.
The front audio is a cable to a 2.5mm male plug
The front microphone is a cable to a 2.5mm male plug.

The audio cables are designed to feed through the case to the rear I/O for audio and microphone.

I want to retain the back I/O's for speakers etc, and cut off the 2.5mm male plugs, and with an appropriate connector, plug them in to the cases current motherboard with HDAudioF plug.

I assume the speaker input jack cable has at least 2x wires for left and right, and up to 2 ground wires.
I assume the microphone input jack cable has at least 1x wire and 1 ground wire.

Any special wiring to a front HDAudioF / AC97 header connector ??

Is it that simple or have I overlooked something ??

Thanks in advance...
The rear? The motherboard and/or sound card supply those outputs and mic input. My full tower backup PC with an i7 4790k and Gigabyte motherboard is almost 12 years (not the i7). I have the front panel headphone mic enabled though the front motherboard connections.

Last edited: