Status
Not open for further replies.

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Hey guys,
I have a 240mm AIO on my CPU with the rad in the top of the case with fans exhausting. My GPU is an EVGA Hybrid that uses a blower (rear exhaust) and also has a 120mm rad that I have exhausting out the back. I have 2x120mm front intake. Since both my rads are exhausting (higher temps) I was wondering if I can get better temps intaking through both my rads. What if I move my 240mm CPU rad to the front (intake) and turn the fan around on my rear 120mm GPU rad to intake, and put my 2x120mm fans on the top of the case to exhaust? Has anyone tried this? I wanted to ask before I remount everything in my case. I can't find anyone talking about this online. The 240mm front intake rad is common and I've seen that before, But I've never seen it in conjunction with an additional 120mm intake rad in the back for the GPU and have it all exhaust out the top.

Solution
The effect of convection will be tiny.
What you definitely don't want to do is top exhaust and back as intake.
It will be cooler for the components as they will have ambient air to work with and not warm case air. Whether this is a problem for the other components who will now have warmer air I don't know.
I find it odd (and always will do) that the 150+W GPU only gets a 120mm rad, whilst the <150W CPU gets a 240mm rad...
I don't see that much of a problem with intake through the rads top and back, and exhaust at the front. Except your drives will get warmer.

You just want flow, so all fans directing the air in the same direction from roughly one corner to the diagonally opposite corner.

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
I don't see that much of a problem with intake through the rads top and back, and exhaust at the front. Except your drives will get warmer.

You just want flow, so all fans directing the air in the same direction from roughly one corner to the diagonally opposite corner.

I was thinking about that too, I know the best way is to experiment and test and see which config results in the best temps, the problem is unmounting and remounting all the fans and rads would take forever especially if the new config doesn't work and I have to revert. I fear that natural convection of heat rising would fight against me too hard, remember once I switch my fans I will have 360mm of intake and 240mm of exhaust and with convection working against me I'm not confident that will be very effective. I just don't want to waste hours remounting radiators. If you've done this config before and know it will work I will believe you lol but I'm skeptical in theory...

It will be cooler for the components as they will have ambient air to work with and not warm case air. Whether this is a problem for the other components who will now have warmer air I don't know.
I find it odd (and always will do) that the 150+W GPU only gets a 120mm rad, whilst the <150W CPU gets a 240mm rad...

Solution

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Thanks! I trust you, I will give you best answer. Thankyou for your time. That's a great point too about default gpu/cpu rad size.... I never thought of that. CPU isn't nearly as temp sensitive either.... Like its not even a big deal that my CPU runs ~75c while gaming, but what I would give to bring my GPU down from 60 to 50... lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.