[SOLVED] Front Case fans > 1x 140mm + 1x120mm OR 3x120mm

Jun 9, 2020
Hey guys,

what would be the ideal fan setup based on above?

Using Cooler Master NR600

Front intake fits 2x 140mm or 3x 120mm
Rear 1x 120mm
Top 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm

For exhaust, rear stock fan and reuse an old case fan on top of case.

Usually I would go for the 2x 140mm front setup.
However, the front bottom mount airflow is restricted by a fixed HDD cage. Is it wasted to put a 140mm there instead of a 120mm to generate airflow while I should focus on intake/exhaust in other areas?

I have 3 setups in mind with zero clue on the best

a)
Front - 1x 140mm and 1x 120mm
Top - 1x 120mm

b)
Front - 2x 140mm
Top - 2x 120mm

c)
Front - 3x 120mm
Top - 1x 120mm / 140mm

Appreciate your advice in helping an amateur ou

Solution
Are the extra accessories in the S12A useful vs the S12B redux?
Price difference of $4 for accessories, newer version and IMHO a hard to match cream/brown aesthetics.

For CPU air cooler
I'll be adding one to my rig as my local store are having promos.

Between the 3 - Cryorig H7, Hyper 212x / Evo, which would be suggested, getting mixed reviews especially on the 212x vs Evo due to a largely similar designed but minor improvements. Am I missing something.

What others should I look at in a similar price range.
I asked about CPU cooler because it's size and positioning is important to CPU and overall cooling. Its rotation is important
t o know as it should be inline with air going thru case. If it's positioned horizontally...
Hey guys,

what would be the ideal fan setup based on above?

Using Cooler Master NR600

Front intake fits 2x 140mm or 3x 120mm
Rear 1x 120mm
Top 2x 120mm or 2x 140mm

For exhaust, rear stock fan and reuse an old case fan on top of case.

Usually I would go for the 2x 140mm front setup.
However, the front bottom mount airflow is restricted by a fixed HDD cage. Is it wasted to put a 140mm there instead of a 120mm to generate airflow while I should focus on intake/exhaust in other areas?

I have 3 setups in mind with zero clue on the best

a)
Front - 1x 140mm and 1x 120mm
Top - 1x 120mm

b)
Front - 2x 140mm
Top - 2x 120mm

c)
Front - 3x 120mm
Top - 1x 120mm / 140mm

Appreciate your advice in helping an amateur ou
Which is your CPU cooler and it's orientation if it's tower cooler ?

Jun 9, 2020
I'd ask you to stick to one size for all the fans.
http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/MasterBox-Series/masterbox-nr600.html

So that would be 120mm for all the fan placements in your chassis.
Cheers, which from the below would you think its best? Or others to suggest, I can increase my budget to an extent.

Noctua NF-S12B redux
https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/noctua-nf-s12b-redux-1200-case-fan/p/N82E16835608060

Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX
https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/noctua-nf-a12x25-flx-case-fan/p/1YF-000T-000K6

Noctua NF-S12A FLX
https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/noctua-nf-s12a-flx-case-fan/p/N82E16835608037

Cheers, which from the below would you think its best? Or others to suggest, I can increase my budget to an extent.

Noctua NF-S12B redux
https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/noctua-nf-s12b-redux-1200-case-fan/p/N82E16835608060

Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX
https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/noctua-nf-a12x25-flx-case-fan/p/1YF-000T-000K6

Noctua NF-S12A FLX
https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/noctua-nf-s12a-flx-case-fan/p/N82E16835608037
Go with those "quiet" ones, Noctua fans are not known exactly by being quiet.

Jun 9, 2020
Go with those "quiet" ones, Noctua fans are not known exactly by being quiet.
Price difference of $4 for accessories, newer version and IMHO a hard to match cream/brown aesthetics.

For CPU air cooler

Between the 3 - Cryorig H7, Hyper 212x / Evo, which would be suggested, getting mixed reviews especially on the 212x vs Evo due to a largely similar designed but minor improvements. Am I missing something.

For CPU air cooler

I asked about CPU cooler because it's size and positioning is important to CPU and overall cooling. Its rotation is important
t o know as it should be inline with air going thru case. If it's positioned horizontally, parallel with top of the case then it's better to use case fan at the back, if vertical, than better place for exhaust fan would be at top of the case.
If you place and exhaust fan in both places, back and top would cover both CPU cooler positions.
If lets say you use CM 212 evo in horizontal position, top exhaust fan should be toward back of the case.
Maybe you should tell us which components you have, it's not same to cool some hot beasts of CPU and GPU or some inherently cooler components.
Some other decent and not too expensive fans I can think of at short notice, Cooler master,short notice
Cooler Master, BeQuiet, Vardar, Arctic cooling, Thermal take.

Solution
Jun 9, 2020
t o know as it should be inline with air going thru case. If it's positioned horizontally, parallel with top of the case then it's better to use case fan at the back, if vertical, than better place for exhaust fan would be at top of the case.
If you place and exhaust fan in both places, back and top would cover both CPU cooler positions.
If lets say you use CM 212 evo in horizontal position, top exhaust fan should be toward back of the case.
Maybe you should tell us which components you have, it's not same to cool some hot beasts of CPU and GPU or some inherently cooler components.
Some other decent and not too expensive fans I can think of at short notice, Cooler master,short notice
Cooler Master, BeQuiet, Vardar, Arctic cooling, Thermal take.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: GALAX GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB OC Video Card
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 kHz Sound Card

Thanks for pointing it out. I did have a tiny bit of worry when I browsed through the air coolers but wrongly assumed the typical popular ones would have no issues.

Probably due to lockdown globally, many of the cpu cooler brands are OOS where I am and didnt read up on them.
I am leaning towards the Hyper 212 Black Rgb version atm.

For the noctua fans, would the S12A be better vs the S12b redux, for the included accessories?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: GALAX GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB OC Video Card
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 kHz Sound Card

Thanks for pointing it out. I did have a tiny bit of worry when I browsed through the air coolers but wrongly assumed the typical popular ones would have no issues.

Probably due to lockdown globally, many of the cpu cooler brands are OOS where I am and didnt read up on them.
I am leaning towards the Hyper 212 Black Rgb version atm.

For the noctua fans, would the S12A be better vs the S12b redux, for the included accessories?
None of those components produce much heat, one front intake and one rear/top exhaust are more than enough, 212 evo/black or any cooler of that size would also be more than fine. CPU's TDP is only 65W and even stock cooler is decent.

Jun 9, 2020
None of those components produce much heat, one front intake and one rear/top exhaust are more than enough, 212 evo/black or any cooler of that size would also be more than fine. CPU's TDP is only 65W and even stock cooler is decent.

Woops, my ram is actually G Skill Sniper x F4-3200 2x8gb.

Coolers I'm looking at Scythe Mugen 5 Rev b, Artic Freezer 34 esports duo and Hyper 212 Black rgb.

Either should fit the case (NR600) with room for clearance?

Mainly play csgo and insurgency, cpu intensive hence prefer to focus on overall airflow and cpu temps.
Got a shock when I saw max cpu temps for csgo around 85° and insurgency around 90°...

Last edited:
Woops, my ram is actually G Skill Sniper x F4-3200 2x8gb.

Coolers I'm looking at Scythe Mugen 5 Rev b, Artic Freezer 34 esports duo and Hyper 212 Black rgb.

Either should fit the case (NR600) with room for clearance?

Mainly play csgo and insurgency, cpu intensive hence prefer to focus on overall airflow and cpu temps.
Got a shock when I saw max cpu temps for csgo around 85° and insurgency around 90°...
Clearance for CPU cooler in that case is

Clearance - CPU Cooler166mm / 6.54"
CM 212 is 158.8 mm high.
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev b 154.5mm
Artic Freezer 34 esports duo is 155mm
so all of those should fit the case.

Jun 9, 2020
Clearance for CPU cooler in that case is

Clearance - CPU Cooler166mm / 6.54"
CM 212 is 158.8 mm high.
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev b 154.5mm
Artic Freezer 34 esports duo is 155mm
so all of those should fit the case.
Cheers dude. Thanks for your help.
I settled on a Cryorig H7 and 2 Noctua Nf-s12a flx 3pin fans.
So my Nr600 case comes with ODD and the top fan can't be installed properly. Went with middle and bottom for front.
Now I just gotta figure out if my fans can be controlled.

Cheers dude. Thanks for your help.
I settled on a Cryorig H7 and 2 Noctua Nf-s12a flx 3pin fans.
So my Nr600 case comes with ODD and the top fan can't be installed properly. Went with middle and bottom for front.
Now I just gotta figure out if my fans can be controlled.
That depends on MB and it's headers. 3pin and 4 pin fans are compatible with same headers, just they shouldn't be mixed on same header.
CPU cooler has own header, only question is where to connect case fans.