Front headphone jacks not working properly

Jun 11, 2018
Hello all, I don't know if this is the right subforum for this, if it's not I'd be happy if someone could move it. Also I realise there are other threads on this topic, I have read them and didn't find a solution that works. On to the issue at hand:

I have completed my build and wanted to put my headphones into the front panel headphone jack while gaming as to not disturb other people in the room. Problem is it won't work. I have an ASUS Z370-E Gaming Motherboard so the Realtek HD Audio Manager is the ASUS SupremeFX interface. In preferences, I have "HD Audio Front Panel" and "Mute rear output device, when front headphone plugged in" selected. Yet, there is no sound coming through the headphones and my desktop speakers keep playing sound as well.

However, in the Realtek HD Audio Manager, when I select the "AC97 Front Panel" option, the headphones start working. My desktop speakers however still keep playing sound alongside the headphones.
So my problem is actually twofold:

1) The HD Audio option is not working when it should
2) Front speakers keep playing while headphones are plugged in (I would like them to be off and output automatically switched to headphones)

I tried rolling back the audio driver, reinstalling it, updating it and setting different sound devices as the default device. HD Audio is enabled in BIOS as well. I can't imagine the front panel connectors are faulty, because then they wouldn't work at all. Nothing seems to work. The HD Audio connector is correctly plugged in the the MBs AAFP socket, everything should work, yet it doesn't.

Bottom line: I would like to use my front headphone jack with the HD Audio option and have it mute my front speakers automatically. Anyone got any ideas on this?

the bios is 0616 https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/
BIOS
to access the bios hammer the delete key before system boots up as soon powered on
have a fresh formatted FAT32 USB stick download the bios from motherboard manufacturer only stick the bios you just downloaded on the USB stick re-boot press the delete button repeatedly to get into your bios select system then update bios select usb device flash it leave it to do its thing then you should be good with your new bios
if done wrong will brick your motherboard