Question Front headphone/line jacks suddenly not working ?

Apr 6, 2022
I recently sent my computer in for diagnostics over a power supply issue. That's been solved, but when I got the desktop back, Realtek Audio Console was installed where it hadn't been before. Now, while the back speaker jack of my tower still works, the front headphone and line in jacks don't. My computer recognises when devices are plugged into them, and it says it's outputting sound, but I hear nothing and when I try my microphone it isn't picked up by the computer.

I've tried all the fixes google says - updating drivers, replacing with Windows defaults, setting it as the default audio output, disabling enhancements, etc. All does nothing.

EDIT: including my PC specs now.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 4-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H
Ram: G Skill Aegis DDR4 2x8GB
SSD/HDD: Kingston A2000 1TB SSD
GPU: GeForce RTX 2060
PSU:Neo ECO Gold Zen 600W
Chassis: Versa H18

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Audio equipment:

Please check to see what your BIOS version on your motherboard is at the time of writing. If you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS. You speak of the case front panel audio ports not working, power down the system, disconnect from the wall and display and see if the internal front panel connector for audio from the motherboard to the case is connected.

Apr 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Audio equipment:

Please check to see what your BIOS version on your motherboard is at the time of writing. If you're on Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS. You speak of the case front panel audio ports not working, power down the system, disconnect from the wall and display and see if the internal front panel connector for audio from the motherboard to the case is connected.

Thank you! I've added the specs I can find without powering off the system, and now I'll go in and look at the rest of them. As best I can see (some of the connectors are hard to access), the internal connector is attached at both ends.

TRENDING THREADS