Nov 12, 2022
Hey guys!

I use my front panel USB port to copy movies from my HDD to my pendrive. The problem with this is the writing speed. A movie over 2GBs takes a lot of time to transfer to my pendrive. I checked, and the front panel is connected to the right port on the motherboard.
This is a screenshot of the copying. CrystalDiskMark results
What could be the problem?

Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue 3.5 1TB 7200rpm

Ralston18

Titan
What transfer USB transfer speed(s) are expected?

Four potential reasons for slow speeds:

1) HDD: specs noted. How full? Fragmented?

2) Pen Drive: Make, model, capacity, how full?

3) Has the front panel USB port been proven to actually provide USB 3.0 speeds? Not "USB 3.0 compatible"......

The Pen Drive is being directly plugged into the USB port correct? Any other USB devices in use at the same time? If so, what devices?

4) What transfer process or app are you using? Copy/Paste, Move, some 3rd party utility/app?

The transfer process will only be as fast as the slowest link in the transfer process.

Nov 12, 2022
What transfer USB transfer speed(s) are expected?

Four potential reasons for slow speeds:

1) HDD: specs noted. How full? Fragmented?

2) Pen Drive: Make, model, capacity, how full?

3) Has the front panel USB port been proven to actually provide USB 3.0 speeds? Not "USB 3.0 compatible"......

The Pen Drive is being directly plugged into the USB port correct? Any other USB devices in use at the same time? If so, what devices?

4) What transfer process or app are you using? Copy/Paste, Move, some 3rd party utility/app?

The transfer process will only be as fast as the slowest link in the transfer process.
1) It's in the CrystalDiskMark picture --> 93% full
Windows says it's 0% fragmented

2) Kingston DataTraveler 102 16B - there is still 3GBs of free space

3) Not really. I just got this motherboard recently and I didn't use the front panel that much. Before this I had a very old motherbard so I wasn't able to use the front ports because the old MOBA didn't have that port.
Yes, it's plugged directly into the USB port. The other USB devices are the basics: mouse, keyboard, microphone, headset and RGB mousepad.

4) Just simple copy pasting the files, I didn't hear of any programs that would / could help with this

Ralston18

Titan
Apologies: did not immediately pick up on the 867/932 GB (93% full). Will tentatively defer to Windows 0% fragmented assessment regarding the WD HDD.

This pen drive?

https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/dt102_us.pdf

Spec's indicate 5 MB/sec Write speed. The image is showing 7.26 MB/sec. Post a longer time frame if possible.

Regarding apps - the drive specs mention urDrive - are you using urDrive to transfer files?

HDD (this drive)? SATA - correct?

https://computers.woot.com/offers/western-digital-blue-1tb-hdd-7200-rpm

Nov 12, 2022
Apologies: did not immediately pick up on the 867/932 GB (93% full). Will tentatively defer to Windows 0% fragmented assessment regarding the WD HDD.

This pen drive?

https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/dt102_us.pdf

Spec's indicate 5 MB/sec Write speed. The image is showing 7.26 MB/sec. Post a longer time frame if possible.

Regarding apps - the drive specs mention urDrive - are you using urDrive to transfer files?

HDD (this drive)? SATA - correct?

https://computers.woot.com/offers/western-digital-blue-1tb-hdd-7200-rpm
Yes, that's the right HDD.
I just right click on the folder I want to move to the pendrive, I press copy, then paste it to the pendrive. I don't have uDrive on my PC.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to take a closer look at system performance.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool and simply watch the system to get a sense of all resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Do not do anything - let the system become stable (if it does). Drag the window to one side and leave the window open to watch.

Then move the folder/files as you normally do and look for what changes when the transfer speed changes, slows, etc..

It may take a bit of time and effort to get a sense of how it all flows and what to watch.

There is no rush and keep notes. Be methodical and change only one thing at a time.