[SOLVED] Front Panel audio not working

Ceezons

Reputable
Aug 29, 2020
Hi all, first time I've had an issue so big I've made an account here... So about two days ago I was cleaning my PC, took it all apart, and did a proper cleaning ( I do this about every month ) and when I put my parts back together everything worked, fans spun etc. When I loaded up Youtube to watch a video, no sound. I tried the back audio jacks as well but they didn't work either. I did the regular sweep through sound panel to make sure my headset was set to default, turned headset volume up, made sure it wasn't muted, checked HD Audio pins, tried a different headset and made sure it was set to HD audio in BIOS. All to no conclusion. Here's my specifications:

MEAN:IT Case
B450 Tomahawk Motherboard
Ryzen RX 5700
Ryzen 5 3600x
TForce 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 2400MHz
700w Gold PSU
Astro A10's

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! My thoughts are so far is my case jacks have just came to an end, because at this point that is all I can think of. :)

Solution
Yes, when I'm on Youtube in the windows sound settings it shows audio is coming through but there is no sound.
Also, how would I or you know if it were to be my case HD Audio pins? Would there be any signs of that or is that not very likely to be an issue?

Unplug the front audio HD cable and test. The rear audio jack is directly from the board. The front isn't. Both of them not working is really weird. I want to tell you it's your motherboard BUT it could literally be something in Windows you overlooked.

Ceezons

Reputable
Aug 29, 2020
I used an electric air duster. I wanna say JayzTwoCents recommended it.

I'm definitely aware of the RAM, too. This is just something to hold me over till I can get my 4x8gb.

I used an electric air duster. I wanna say JayzTwoCents recommended it.

I'm definitely aware of the RAM, too. This is just something to hold me over till I can get my 4x8gb.

Don't get 4x8GB. Get 2x16GB. 4 sticks put more stress on the memory controller and achieving the advertised speed of the RAM using 4 sticks is troublesome or not possible. 2x16GB is what you want to buy.

For the electric air duster. Did you touch the component? Air vacuum can create static charge around the rim of the duster. It's almost impossible that the audio jack from the front and rear died at the same time unless the audio chip is damaged or died.

Was the system unplugged and psu turned off when you cleaned it?

Ceezons

Reputable
Aug 29, 2020
Noted for the RAM :).

I didn't touch anything. And (I know) I wore the static bracelet as well because I want to be safe. Neither of my headsets are working front nor back so my immediate response was to reinstall drivers, because you never know and make sure HD audio was connect.

Noted for the RAM :).

I didn't touch anything. And (I know) I wore the static bracelet as well because I want to be safe. Neither of my headsets are working front nor back so my immediate response was to reinstall drivers, because you never know and make sure HD audio was connect.

If you're sure that everything is plugged correctly and that the default audio device is correctly set in Windows and your audio device works in another system it's probably the board. When you play a youtube video do you see some volume line going up anywhere to show that there is sounds?

Your sounds should be working even when using the basic Windows audio drivers.

Ceezons

Reputable
Aug 29, 2020
Yes, when I'm on Youtube in the windows sound settings it shows audio is coming through but there is no sound.
Also, how would I or you know if it were to be my case HD Audio pins? Would there be any signs of that or is that not very likely to be an issue?

Unplug the front audio HD cable and test. The rear audio jack is directly from the board. The front isn't. Both of them not working is really weird. I want to tell you it's your motherboard BUT it could literally be something in Windows you overlooked.

Solution

Ceezons

Reputable
Aug 29, 2020
Okay, I just tried unplugging HD audio and the motherboard jack didn't work either. Maybe it is something I missed in Windows settings? I just wouldn't know what it would be..?

Okay, I just tried unplugging HD audio and the motherboard jack didn't work either. Maybe it is something I missed in Windows settings? I just wouldn't know what it would be..?

Look at the audio settings. The OUTPUT source should be realtek audio. If you have more source try all of them while a song is playing. You can go in the audio control panel to see your recording and listening device. Be sure the good one is selected as the default one.

It's hard to see what you have without screenshots.