Front panel connected help

ButteryToastHD

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Hi everyone I'm new to pc building. I have an msi b350m gaming pro motherboard and can't completely figure out which way the headers go. The manual is confusing me. Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
No, don't move the HDD LED up (that's for the POWER LED pins you don't have). Use the same pins as before, but make sure the + (gray wire) is at the left and the - (black wire) is at the right.

In short, in your latest photo, you connected the HDD LED here:

[o][o][o][o][x]
[o][o][o][o][o]
^- which is wrong.

You should move it down and connect it here:

[o][o][o][o][x]
[o][o][o][o][o]
Gray Wire (+) at the left; Black Wire (-) at the right

Zmanrocks

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
Im really bad at explaining stuff like this but I will try my best! I recently rebuild my PC because I got a new case. There should be 3 plugs with 2 insert holes each. and 1 that is 2 insert holes but are both split all of these have a place of there own In these slots: (PLED, HD, PWR, and RES) I cant tell you exactly where they all go but the wires should be obviously marked. Also usb plugs go into the usb plug slot and usb 3 has its own special plug

Depending on what your case is, you should have the following basic front panel cables coming out of it:
41-big-corsair-obsidian-750d.jpg

For reference, here is your motherboard:
B350M-GAMING-PRO.jpg

The first 5 small cables in the photo above, i.e., the "RESET SW" (2-pin), the "POWER LED-" (1-pin), the "POWER LED+" (1-pin), the "POWER SW" (2-pin), and the "H.D.D. LED" (2-pin), will all be connected to your motherboards Front Panel Header (a 9-pin header), which is lablled as "JFP1", found near the bottom-right corner of your motherboard (just beneath the screw mounting hole).

The "JFP1" header, with 9 total pins, is laid out like this:

[o][o][o][o][x]
[o][o][o][o][o]
*where [x] means no pin

You would then plug those 5 small cables this way:

POWER LED + | POWER LED - --> [o][o][o][o][x] <-- POWER SW (+/- orientation doesn't matter)
H.D.D. LED (+ at left; - at right) --> [o][o][o][o][o] <-- RESET SW (+/- orientation doesn't matter)

The last pin (right-most at bottom) is left unplugged.

Next is the mid-sized cable marked "USB" (9-pin). This is used to connect your case's USB2.0 front panel ports. The cable is connected on your motherboard's available USB2.0 internal header. Your motherboard has two of these internal headers, labelled as "JUSB1" and "JUSB2", both are located along the bottom-middle edge of your motherboard. You can choose whichever header you prefer to plug the 9-pin USB cable into. The cable only goes in one way, so, check the orientation of the 9-pin socket against the 9-pin header so you won't break any pins.

The largest of the cables (usually not marked) in the photo above is the USB3.0 (19-pin) cable, used to connect your case's USB3.0 front panel ports. This cable is connected on your motherboard's USB3.0 internal header (also a 19-pin header). Your motherboard only has one, labelled as "JUSB3", located just between the JUSB2 (USB2.0) internal header and the JFP1 (Front Panel) header mentioned above. The cable also only goes in one way, so, check the orientation of the 19-pin socket against the 19-pin header so you won't break any pins.

The last of the cables in the photo above is a mid-sized cable, labelled "HD AUDIO" (9-pin). This is used to connect your case's Audio Jack and Mic Jack. This cable is connected to your motherboard's HD Audio header, labelled as "JAUD1", which is located at the extreme bottom left corner of your board. The cable only goes in one way, so, check the orientation of the 9-pin socket against the 9-pin header so you won't break any pins.

Same layout as I have mentioned/illustrated above (just ignore the POWER LED + and POWER LED -):

[strike]POWER LED +[/strike] | [strike]POWER LED -[/strike] --> [o][o][o][o][x] <-- POWER SW (+/- orientation doesn't matter)
H.D.D. LED (+ at left; - at right) --> [o][o][o][o][o] <-- RESET SW (+/- orientation doesn't matter)

No, don't move the HDD LED up (that's for the POWER LED pins you don't have). Use the same pins as before, but make sure the + (gray wire) is at the left and the - (black wire) is at the right.

In short, in your latest photo, you connected the HDD LED here:

[o][o][o][o][x]
[o][o][o][o][o]
^- which is wrong.

You should move it down and connect it here:

[o][o][o][o][x]
[o][o][o][o][o]
Gray Wire (+) at the left; Black Wire (-) at the right

Solution

vasja.perc

Prominent
Dec 8, 2017

Wow you explained him so nicely bro, I can not believe how nicely you presented him all the answeres :). I was just looking at this post, because today I am getting all the computer parts, which will be built in this motherboard, and because its my first time building a pc, I was only afraid of these small pins, I didnt know where to put them. Now i know, thanks to you

Ps sorry for bad English, I'm from EU, Slovenia :)