[SOLVED] Front panel connector pin outs.

trevorwhynot

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Hi. I have a "Sun Ultra 27 Workstation" with a motherboard which has a serial number of "375-3610-01". I recently installed this board in a new case. I cannot find the front panel connector pin outs anywhere online! The original front panel plug only had "power switch" and "power led". I figured out the power switch....but I do not know where to connect the "HDD LED" or "Reset Switch". I don't want to "trial and error" in case I short something. Any help with this would be much appreciated!! Thanks.

Solution
I just had to work this out to put a new motherboard in an old Sun Ultra 20 case (which looks like it has largely the same design as the Ultra 24 and Ultra 27). When you depress the front-panel power switch, it shorts the yellow and white wires on the connector together. I made an adapter to get from the 18-pin molded plug to the "Power SW" pins on my motherboard by snipping an internal speaker (this style: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR1A4NV/), moving the black wire in the speaker plug to be adjacent to the red (you can bend the little plastic tabs on the speaker connector with a very small flat screwdriver, and then pull the wire out and reposition), stripping the ends of those wires, and pushing them into the...
Do you have orignal Sun Ultra 27 case? If not then i would buy cheap multimeter and stick ground into psu ground wire and then see which voltage does come out.

Well i meant you physically take picture where the pins are, the quality of image is low when they upload to Google.

trevorwhynot

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Thanks for the replies. What voltage should be on the following?

"RESET SWITCH" POSITIVE
"HDD LED" POSITIVE

Is it possible for you to send me the link to the manual you located?

HDD led wouold be between 3.3V and 5V (it really depends)
The manual doesn't have any info...
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19127-01/ultra27.ws/820-6776/index.html
About the reset switch if you keep multimeter on voltage i think you could trigger restart by itself.
Sorry i couldn't find anything.
This is the picture 8.8MB i sharpened it as much as i could.
https://ibb.co/j5xrwH
You still didn't answer me, original case or aftermarket?
Well i guess last option is to call them right?

He didn't respond me does he has original case or not, i bet he does have aftermarket soo that's why he asked for pinout.

trevorwhynot

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Sorry for the delay. I do have the original SUN case. But all the was connected to the front panel connector on the motherboard was the "power switch" and "power LED". There was no connectors for " HDD LED" or "Reset switch" The original case does not have a reset button or an LED for HDD. I now have this board installed in an aftermarket case that does have a reset Switch and HDD LED. Thanks for the replies!

trevorwhynot

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
Sounds good. I probed the connector yesterday and it looks like there is no reset or HDD LED available on this connector. Perhaps it's where it is a server motherboard? Please let me know if you come to the same conclusion. Thanks again!!!

First download HD Tune (its free trial).
Second you need one sacrificial front speaker,
you have to squash the contacts here (the red circles) and pull out, if it doesn't wanna come out press a bit harder, and if still doesn't wanna pull by force just make sure that contacts stay on!
511u4_Y0_Ok_RL_SL1170.jpg

to be like this
20180213_194531.jpg

and now stick the BLACK wire into any GROUND - if its avalilable, if not then remove power switch and stick into his GROUND - .
Now the TRICKY PART!

Untitled.jpg

BLACK IS ALWAYS GROUND -!
With RED YOU probe As HD TUNE IS RUNNING if you hit RED 2 pins together with red it will short out soo be carefull!

Patience is key!

Now i've uploaded file to Mega drive as YouTube is slow as heck for some reason?
https://mega.nz/#!EG5nkKYA!IwIhHZkn8nSA440G8-MM07aOZXz0pcbQxOE5px2boh4
In this file you will hear how it reacts as you benchmark read speed of your HDD and speaker will provide sound.
If you short out the reset (+) it will simply restart and you will know which are for what :)

If you don't wanna risk then don't.
Just calm hands can you help and if you bring motherboard outside of case it will be even easier for you.
As you see in picture my test rig is on motherboard mounting which i ripped from old case as "Test Bench".

I wont judge you if you don't wanna try.
I hope this helps you understand.

My multimeter theory was wrong.

After you find the + one of HDD led activity, then you must find the ground of the HD LED Activity with multimeter, stick it into ground of molex connector, and probe the closest one of the + of led activity

? ? ?
? + ?

For example + is activity which you found, now you have to probe which one is negative - . (It should give you 0 volts with multimeter).

Usually the connectors are + - - + - - + as you may see in picture.

Don't worry i didn't waste my 2 hours for this, only 15min.

longshot4

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Trevor,
I have completed the task you are attempting to do. I gutted my Sun Ultra-24 and replaced the MoBo, P/S etc with modern components.

I have created a document that will work with your Ultra-27. Not sure how to post the document or post pictures.

Can the moderator Help?

That would be better than my hahahahahaha.
Well you have to make how to and why and how did you.

longshot4

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Robert,

Where do I post the how-to?

Well usually when thread is solved it can be used as solving to other questions of other threads, most members search trought Tom's Hardware for any information because its full of, i don't know, 15K pages??(more?)

Well im not sure will he respond, but surley post how did you connect everything, same as i basicly said up there how to test with speaker.

Soo i connected this and this, there and there, look up for other tutorials.

For writing tutorial, umm not sure about that.

Its like your making your own story how did you connect everything (like explaining to little child).
If you ever did senior work you should know how to do it.

longshot4

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Roger that. Already have a short 4 page howto that has photos and diagrams. Thought it would be easier just to post up the doc.

I'll do some cutting, pasting and linking to photos.

Thanks for the help.

Sep 13, 2018

Were you able to post your guide anywhere? I have a Sun Ultra 24 that I'll be putting a ATX motherboard into and I believe the front connectors are the same as the Sun Ultra 27.

Do you know how old this thread is? I rarely even remember this.

Feb 24, 2019
I just had to work this out to put a new motherboard in an old Sun Ultra 20 case (which looks like it has largely the same design as the Ultra 24 and Ultra 27). When you depress the front-panel power switch, it shorts the yellow and white wires on the connector together. I made an adapter to get from the 18-pin molded plug to the "Power SW" pins on my motherboard by snipping an internal speaker (this style: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR1A4NV/), moving the black wire in the speaker plug to be adjacent to the red (you can bend the little plastic tabs on the speaker connector with a very small flat screwdriver, and then pull the wire out and reposition), stripping the ends of those wires, and pushing them into the white/yellow slots on the 18-pin Sun connector. I held it together with a bit of electrical tape and plugged the fan connector into the motherboard.

The blue and green wires in the 18-pin Sun connector likely drive the front panel LED, although I haven't tested yet to see what polarity it needs nor how they relate to the red and black wires in the same (which based on position and color are very likely just a PSU ground and live +12V). On this motherboard (and probably many others) the "Pwr LED" pins are right next to "Power SW" so it would be easy to add two more wires to the four-pin speaker plug and carry both functions to the motherboard.

Anyway, I hope this helps somebody (found this thread as the first Google result for "Sun Ultra 20 front panel pinout")--- let me know if any of the above wasn't clear.

Solution