[SOLVED] Front panel USB 3.0 not communicating with the motherboard

Jun 26, 2020
I built my first gaming PC 3 days ago. One of two front panel USB 3.0 ports is not working. I unplugged and re-plugged in the USB cables to the mobo and it didn't fix the issue.

I think it's a software issue because the USB port that's not working is the same one I used to install Windows on. For whatever reason, the mobo is not communicating with the port. Here's the case and mobo I'm using.

Case: Fractal Define Mini C
Mobo: MSI Z490M Gaming Edge Wifi

What are some trouble shooting steps I can do to get it working?

Solution
If only one of the two usb3.0 ports is not working,
Here are a few possibilities:
  1. one port on the front panel is defective.
  2. The cable which supports two ports is defective.
  3. The usbcable to the motherboard is very stiff and may not be fully inserted into the motherboard port.
  4. You may have bent one of the pins in the motherboard port.
  5. The motherboard port is partially defective.

My guess is #3 or 4.
  3. The usbcable to the motherboard is very stiff and may not be fully inserted into the motherboard port.

My guess is #3 or 4.

Solution
Jun 26, 2020
My guess is #3 or 4.

I think I bricked something downloading a driver. Now my computer can't start. I made another post about it:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...second-then-shuts-down-over-and-over.3622232/

Since my brand new $2,000 PC is now possibly dead, I checked the USB connectors. One of the far right bottom pins was bent. I managed to fix it with some tweezers. Unfortunately, I can't check to see if it fixed the USB port.

I might just have to go see a local PC repairman to get this sorted. It's been one problem after another with this PC.

Jun 26, 2020
After somehow managing to get the computer to boot, I checked to see if repairing that pin fixed the USB port. It still doesn't work. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Jun 26, 2020
I have destroyed such pins before.
My solution was to buy a pcie add in card with the appropriate internal header.
As a plus, it gave me more rear usb ports.

If I can find someone who knows how to solder, then I'm sure the pins can be replaced. MSI can repair it for me, but the turnaround time is LONG

TRENDING THREADS