[SOLVED] Front Panel USB 3.2 Type-A module

TheRock

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi All,
I have the ASUS ROG Strix Z590 MB and yesterday I done a lot of searching to find a Front Panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type_A module or even a drive bay hub but could not find one. I see the PCIe cards and I found the 3.2 Type-C module but not the Type-A. I found lots of 3.1 front panel modules and hubs. I want to replace the front panel 3.0 if I can buy a 3.2.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on where to look for this item on a Canada or USA website so I can purchase it.

Thanks

Solution
hi, 3.2 Gen1 type A is same as 3.0 type A or 3.1 Gen1 type A
all of them are exactly same..5Gbit
3.2 Gen2 type A on the other hand is 10Gbit

so the question is, do you need 5Gpit type A or 10 Gbit type A?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
More completely, ALL USB3 things now are properly parts of USB 3.2 , with the Genx added label. It is recommended that all should use the new Type C connectors for max data throughput. However, that's compatibility issue for many users with devices with Type A connectors, and it is recognized that a Type A connector may well work just fine for the Gen 1 version - that is, max data rate of 5 Gb/s. It IS recommended that for Gen2 (10 Gb/s) and Gen2x2 (20 Gb/s) you really need to use the Type C connector.

Your mobo has one of the new Type E USB 3.2 headers, designated as Gen2x2 for the max current speed rating. You will find only cables and connectors of the Type C style for use with this to assure that max speed. If you really want to use only devices with Type A connectors that are likely limited to 5 Gb/s data rate, you really should be making the connection to a front panel Type A socket from a different mobo header. Right beside that Type E mobo header your mobo has a USB 3.2 Gen1 header that can feed TWO Gen1 sockets on a front panel, and these certainly CAN be Type A sockets. You indicate you already have something on the front panel you consider "USB 3.0". As pointed out above, today that is re-labelled a USB 3.2 Gen1 socket that CAN be fed from the Gen 1 header on the mobo. So IF you already have that connected that way, that is exactly what you want.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The item above ^ is actually a USB 3.2 Gen2 HUB, with 4 USB3.2 Gen2 ports (three Type A, one Type C) and two dedicated charging ports. It requires a connection to a PSU SATA output for adequate power to all those ports, and appears to use the new mobo USB Type E header OP's mobo has. Certainly has lots of ports to use. Be aware that this Hub has all four of its USB3.2 Gen2 ports share the single high-speed connection to the mobo, so you would not achieve full 10 Gb/s data rates on all ports simultaneously. However, very few users need all that speed simultaneously - MUCH more likely to be using one (maybe 2) ports simultaneously. And if those devices with Type A connectors on their cables really are only capable of Gen1 (5 Gb/s) data rates anyway, sharing the channel is not much of an issue at all. The USB people strongly advise use of Type C (NOT Type A) connectors to achieve Gen2 speeds, but again, if your devices are only Gen1 anyway, those Type A sockets are just fine.

Last edited: