[SOLVED] Front Panel USB Port doing weird thing

Feb 8, 2020
So today I was trying to use my Kingston CF Card reader to transfer some files but I noticed that it wasn't working. I have it plugged into the only usb port on the front of my cooler master cm 590 iii. when i plugged my phone into it it froze my phone and turned it off. it turns out that the connector for the usb on the case was in the wrong way so the port works fine now. however, i think it may've killed my card reader. all my other devices can work with the front panel but my cf card reader doesnt work anymore... with any port. also, ive noticed that the reader gets pretty hot after a while when its plugged in, even when the usb port wasnt working properly. i tried to do a firmware update for the reader but it said that it couldnt detect it.

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like you killed the card reader, your phone likely protected itself with it's superior design.

I'm not entirely sure which connector you are talking about being backwards. To the motherboard would be quite tricky with the blank pins and plastic notches. If you mean a connector that goes into the back of the front panel stuff, would need to know more about that to say anything.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like you killed the card reader, your phone likely protected itself with it's superior design.

I'm not entirely sure which connector you are talking about being backwards. To the motherboard would be quite tricky with the blank pins and plastic notches. If you mean a connector that goes into the back of the front panel stuff, would need to know more about that to say anything.

Solution
Feb 8, 2020

I think so. And this is the port I was talking about http://prntscr.com/r2ime6
It's labeled USB and i had it cord flipped

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1.1/2.0 shouldn't really have any issues. If you get it 100% flipped it should connect 5V to nothing. However, if you managed to slide it up or down then it would depend on where the 5V ended up what it might do at the other end.

Feb 8, 2020
1.1/2.0 shouldn't really have any issues. If you get it 100% flipped it should connect 5V to nothing. However, if you managed to slide it up or down then it would depend on where the 5V ended up what it might do at the other end.
Im not 100% sure but i think its usb 2. USB 3 requires a different connector which my mobo doesnt have