Question Front USB 3.0 Ports Don't Work - Does Motherboard Need Swap?

deiviux90

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
Hi,

I've had a faulty pair of front USB 3.0 ports for the better half of a year now and I attributed it to simply that: faulty ports.

Until now.

I just finished replacing the front panel connectors on the PC and when I switched it on and plugged a random USB device into the new panel, I still had the same issue I had before, with the old panel.

So my question is this: Would I have to change my motherboard? Everything else relating to the USB 3.0 ports is new, cables and all, so the problem must stem from the motherboard. Right?? They were working fine until I had the PC sent off for repairs and when it came back they just weren't working. I plugged two of my three Oculus Rift sensors into them and they were fine for an entire year.

deiviux90

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
What motherboard and case do you have? Also what do you mean you replaced the connectors on the PC?

Motherboard's an Asus X470 Pro and the case is a Corsair 750D (Obsidian Series or something).

As for the connectors, I mean that the panel that has the audio I/O, reset and power switches, and the 4 USB ports, has been replaced. Was still within the 2 year warranty and Corsair sent me a new replacement panel, but I don't think anything was wrong with the original one now. Example of what I mean here

Motherboard's an Asus X470 Pro and the case is a Corsair 750D (Obsidian Series or something).

As for the connectors, I mean that the panel that has the audio I/O, reset and power switches, and the 4 USB ports, has been replaced. Was still within the 2 year warranty and Corsair sent me a new replacement panel, but I don't think anything was wrong with the original one now. Example of what I mean here

Is the cable that runs from the front IO to the mobo detachable (does it have a connector) to the front panel IO or is wired up?

Do you have the latest drivers for your mobo USB? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

When you remove the cable from the mobo header are any of the pins damaged or missing? There should be 19 pins with one missing

deiviux90

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
Is the cable that runs from the front IO to the mobo detachable (does it have a connector) to the front panel IO or is wired up?

Do you have the latest drivers for your mobo USB? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

When you remove the cable from the mobo header are any of the pins damaged or missing? There should be 19 pins with one missing

I've tried numerous possible fixes and troubleshoots, I'll list what I can remember:
  • Downloading motherboard drivers for USB
  • Removing/reinstalling Windows OS USB drivers or whatever they are
  • Cleaned USB ports
  • Checked USB cable connection - all fine
One thing is, however, the fact that when I tried to remove the cable when I first set the system up, the USB connection on the motherboard had its sheath come off. The thing genuinely got "ripped" from the motherboard. As I said before, though, the USB ports worked fine for over a year despite this happening. But I'm not putting aside that this could be the cause of the issue.

Last edited:

deiviux90

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019