Front USB 3.0 ports not working

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
The USB 3.0 ports on the front chassis of my build is not working. It is not giving me any power either. I plugged in a USB mouse to the MOBO USB 3.0 ports and it works fine but the front chassis USB 3.0 won't work or give power to my mouse.

In the device manager, I see "SM Bus Controller" and 2 "USB Controller" that need drivers which I assume are my front ports. However, when I search for drivers online or through my driver disk, it doesn't accept my drivers.

Yes, the USB 3.0 cable is connected to the MOBO. Yes, the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS.

And yes, I searched the drivers on the disk that came with the MOBO.

I'm confused as what to do. I don't want to install drivers manually unless I know it is the correct driver. Does someone know what the correct driver is?

Thanks for your help!

My build is:
H81M-P33 V2 MOBO
Raygo R12-42486 Chassis
Intel G3220 Processor

skeptikaltruth

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Thank you for responding so quickly! It's funny, I actually had that driver but because the 'search for drivers' didn't accept it, I didn't want to install it just in case it was wrong.

So I installed it and the front USB 3.0 ports now work. However, according to the device manager, I still need drivers for "SM Bus Controller" and now just one of the "USB Controllers."

I searched through my driver disk and no drivers were found for "SM Bus Controller" again. However, The "USB Controller" did find a driver and install it. Then it changed the name to "Unknown Device" and it says again that there are no drivers installed for it.

Do you know what these could be referring to?

Not sure if it matters but I did forget to mention that my build is Windows 7 64 bit, in case it's important.

Thanks again!