Front USB ports don't work (Chenming case)

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the case
have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course the
wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard (an
Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to match the
motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs and I
can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too (yellow,
purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so I
can't even get any clues from the wire colors.

If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring, I'd
certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector wiring
is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
out. <sigh>

"Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message

> Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
case
> have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course the
> wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard (an
> Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to match
the
> motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs and I
> can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too (yellow,
> purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so I
> can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
>
> If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring, I'd
> certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector wiring
> is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
> out. <sigh>

Which case model please.

Richard

http://www.vfaq.com/Case/#USB

http://www.starmount.co.uk/s_usbpin.htm
Some good help here.

"Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message

> Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
> case have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course
> the wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard
> (an Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to
> match the motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with
> docs and I can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too
> (yellow, purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and
> black), so I can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
>
> If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring, I'd
> certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector wiring
> is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
> out. <sigh>

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Richard Kawamura" <rkawa@concentric.net> wrote in message

> "Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
> case
>> have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course the
>> wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard (an
>> Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to match
> the
>> motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs and
>> can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too (yellow,
>> purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so I
>> can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
>>
>> If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring,
>> I'd
>> certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector
>> wiring
>> is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
>> out. <sigh>
>>

> Which case model please.
>
> Richard
>
> http://www.vfaq.com/Case/#USB

Greetings, Richard. It's a Chenming CMUI-601AECB-U:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125436&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Cases

I tried googling like a ut but still haven't found any info that tells me
what each wire is for.

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"Richard Kawamura" <rkawa@concentric.net> wrote in message

> "Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
> case
>> have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course the
>> wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard (an
>> Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to match
> the
>> motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs and
>> can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too (yellow,
>> purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so I
>> can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
>>
>> If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring,
>> I'd
>> certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector
>> wiring
>> is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to find
>> out. <sigh>
>>

> Which case model please.
>
> Richard
>
> http://www.vfaq.com/Case/#USB

Greetings, Richard. It's a Chenming CMUI-601AECB-U:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125436&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Cases

I tried googling like a but but still haven't found any info that tells me
what each wire is for.

> "Richard Kawamura" <rkawa@concentric.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Hackworth" <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Yeah, it's another typical case where the two front USB ports from the
> > case
> >> have a 2x5 block connecter rather than individual pins, and of course
the
> >> wiring for the connector does not match the pinout on my motherboard
(an
> >> Asus A8V Deluxe). I can easily rearrange the pins in the block to
match
> > the
> >> motherboard pinout, but unfortunately the case didn't come with docs
and
> >> can't find anything online. The wires are all goofy colors, too
(yellow,
> >> purple, etc., rather that the standard red, white, green and black), so
> >> can't even get any clues from the wire colors.
> >>
> >> If you have a Chenming case and have figured out the front USB wiring,
> >> I'd
> >> certainly like to hear from you. Presumably, the Firewire connector
> >> wiring
> >> is also wrong, but I sure don't want to plug a Firewire device in to
find
> >> out. <sigh>
> >>

> > Which case model please.
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > http://www.vfaq.com/Case/#USB
>

> Greetings, Richard. It's a Chenming CMUI-601AECB-U:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125436&CMP=OTC-pr1c3watch&ATT=Cases

> I tried googling like a but but still haven't found any info that tells me
> what each wire is for.

Here's wiring specs for USB.

http://www.pccables.com/cabtech.htm

Richard