Question Front USB Ports not recognized in Windows after swapping motherboard

suntower

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
My motherboard died. I swapped out for a new mobo with same CPU (Haswell). Everything seems to be OK, but front USB ports are not recognize in Windows when USB sticks are inserted. However, they -are- recognized at hardware level (I can boot with a USB stick). It's just that when Windows comes up the USB stick is not visible as a drive in Windows Explorer.

I have tried updating the drivers for all USB branches of tree in Device Manager but no joy. I've tried -uninstalling- each USB device hoping to re-install, but when I do that, Windows hangs during the first USB uninstall so I can't complete that task. (Is there a command line way to -force- this process?)

SUMMARY: The front USB ports seem to be working at hardware level, but they are not being recognized at Windows level.

Where do I go from here?

suntower

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

I saw that. Frankly, I didn't know -which- file(s) to download/install. Can you suggest? There isn't a file which specifically says "USB Drivers".
Is it visible in Disk Management? Can you show the screenshot?

If it is visible there, then you have to assign drive letter to your USB stick.
Sorry for the slow reply

disk_management.jpg

1. The front USB sticks (I've tried several) is -not- visible in Disk Management.

2. I tried downloading the Chipset Drivers and the MOBO Flash Updater. Neither did the trick.

3. What's frustrating (perhaps unrelated) is that when I hit Shutdown/Restart Windows hangs with the spinning wheel. I have to hit the power switch every time to reboot.

Ideas where to go from here?

suntower

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
When you did the MB exchange did you do a clean windows install?
No, I simply re-installed the HDs... which had Win10 already installed... and away I went. So far this is the only issue I have not been able to surmount.

Anyhoo... if it comes down to re-installing Windows I =guess= I'll do it but wow, what a pain. Any -less- painful way to go about it these days? (I haven't actually done that since Win 7)

Last edited:
Windows has a different install for every bit of hardware; by definition all the issues you are experiencing are because the windows install you have been using is for a different computer.

There are ways to make it easier. Windows has a Utility called File History; plug in a USB 128mg or higher (you could probably get away with 64mg) and turn it on, and it will copy all your personal files (this should be allowed to work over night). Then have all your program installers saved on another USB (or the same if they will fit). Finally you can save your browser bookmarks and passwords so you don't have to log into all your websites again; the method for backing up your passwords is different for different browsers, so you will need a browser specific method to utility to back yours up.

Last edited:
Reactions: suntower
when replacing a major component like a motherboard it is always recommended to do a clean install of windows to avoid problems like this. because this was a major hardware change you will need to transfer your windows license using the activation troubleshooter in settings. use this article to reactivate windows after a clean install

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change