Frontier Developments Reveals Roadmap For Upcoming 'Horizons' Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
To be honest, that's not a lot of content for a $50 (if you already own ED). Also by the time all of it is done, they'll release the next "season" and you'll have to pay up again.

It seems the best strategy for the consumer is to stay one year behind. You can then pick up all the Horizons content for ~$15 t the end of the year. Then pick up the next "season" at the end of 2017. You'll pay much less than their loyal customers, who get punished over and over for their support.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well in my opinion planet landings is a lot of content, for expansion pack and now it will include even more stuff. Not bad at all! Most normal expansions in other games offer much less content!

I also consider buying now a development support, for future expansions.
I do it rarely. Only in the games that I really like, or that are very complex.
Lately Civ5 and Elite Dangerous has been in that category. Rest of the (play 3-5 hours and be done) games I also buy at discount like you, because they IMHO are not worth of it.

Charles_61

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
Their model is so convoluted.
So when I bought Horizons, I supposedly paid for a whole season of updates. Now I hear they are going to release an update each season.

So does that mean I'm paying another 50 bucks for each of these "updates"?
Not gonna happen btw.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
To be honest, that's not a lot of content for a $50 (if you already own ED). Also by the time all of it is done, they'll release the next "season" and you'll have to pay up again.
It seems the best strategy for the consumer is to stay one year behind.
i feel like most games are like this, but if you like to see the game develop you should consider sponsoring the game with the full amount. they do not force you to pay any monthly subscription for the servers and the dlc are not required. right now Elite is a hollow game for me, but the peaces placed are solid building blocks. if they work hard i feel like 2017 will be a good year for elit. and in my life all space sims are welcome! : b

Pedasc

Reputable
Mar 12, 2014
Their model is so convoluted.
So when I bought Horizons, I supposedly paid for a whole season of updates. Now I hear they are going to release an update each season.

So does that mean I'm paying another 50 bucks for each of these "updates"?
Not gonna happen btw.

I think the problem here is the use of the word season. My understanding is that the Horizon "Season" includes these four updates. These updates are released one for meteorological "Season" (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter). They probably didn't want to just say that they would give you free updates for a year in case there is a delay.

In the end this may make this into an incredible game but I'm not sure what I think of the business model. This does seem like a way to sneak a bit of a subscription model into the game. Not too bad considering they do seem to be using the money to work on content but it is almost fells like they are locking content behind a pay wall with the promise of more walls in the future.

I am also getting a lot of the same felling as I get from "Early Access" here. A lot of "We will be better in the future, just you wait". Only this time the devs keep asking for more money rather than just your patience.

In the end they all need to get paid for their work so I understand why they are going this way but I can't shake the bad feelings I get here.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I bought the lifetime expansion pass when it was still in the croudfunding stage, and I'm glad I did. The game is pretty boring right now to be honest. I sometimes think some thing are put it just to annoy me. (Like when you take of on an outpost, the platform spins you around, or the big valve closing on takeoff...) however, I think it does have the potential to be great after this seasons updates. If it's not, I'm switching to Star Citizen (If that ever makes it with all the problems they are having). Right now, ED is just eyecandy...

PcbFlare

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2016
the big valve closing on takeoff
Yeah, what the hell is it with that thing? What other purpose does it serve than just to piss you off? Also i don't think that it did that always. I don't remember these take-off delays when i was flying Sidewinder and Cobra, only very recently when i bought Asp Explorer it started to delay my take-offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.