Question frontier ONT connection questions

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok i'm getting frontier installed 3-11-24 and i have a few questions to get figured out before they start setting up there system.

i have a network system now i have a 24 port netgear network main unit and i have netgear 5 and 8 port units at different spots around the house. one is by the back door down stairs and connected to 3 dvr/nvr units. and a couple of ip cameras in that location. one by the tv one in the kitchen by my pcs and one out in the front garage maybe 25' from where frontier will be placing there ONT unit.

my question is this can i run a cat6 line from the network hub that is in the front garage maybe 25' from that new ONT unit and then set the eero 6 router by the tv in the house and plug that into the network hub located there and have it work?

or will i need to run a cat6 line directly from the ONT thru the house to the eero 6 router and then plug that eero 6 router into the network hun located there to get the house online so i can see my cameras when away from the house?

also can i get into the eero 6 router and reset the ports in that router so i can see my cameras? i do not use the standard ports i have 5 digit port numbers. and i have to do port forwarding also and will there app allow this?

Reactions: PainKiller3X

kanewolf

Titan
ok i'm getting frontier installed 3-11-24 and i have a few questions to get figured out before they start setting up there system.

i have a network system now i have a 24 port netgear network main unit and i have netgear 5 and 8 port units at different spots around the house. one is by the back door down stairs and connected to 3 dvr/nvr units. and a couple of ip cameras in that location. one by the tv one in the kitchen by my pcs and one out in the front garage maybe 25' from where frontier will be placing there ONT unit.

my question is this can i run a cat6 line from the network hub that is in the front garage maybe 25' from that new ONT unit and then set the eero 6 router by the tv in the house and plug that into the network hub located there and have it work?

or will i need to run a cat6 line directly from the ONT thru the house to the eero 6 router and then plug that eero 6 router into the network hun located there to get the house online so i can see my cameras when away from the house?

also can i get into the eero 6 router and reset the ports in that router so i can see my cameras? i do not use the standard ports i have 5 digit port numbers. and i have to do port forwarding also and will there app allow this?
To better describe what you want do do, create a basic drawing (pencil is fine) and upload a picture to imgur or another image hosting site. Post a link to the picture.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok here is the link to a hand drawing i have the hubs as boxes and the larger dash line is going to the garage hub and the small dash line is going to the hub at the tv, and the solid lines are showing the hobs all connected to the main hub. notice they are labeled hub 5 hub 8 hub 24 that represents how many ports are in each hub. what i would like to do is run the cat6 from the ONT to the hub in the garage and then plug in the eero 6 to the hub located at the tv.

the only other options i guess is to set the router at the ONT location and the see if i get good wifi, or run the cat6 to the tv and then plug the router into that line and the other port on the router into that hub that is by the tv. does that make any sense? i guess the installer may know and or he may run the line himself but just in case they only set the ONT and then set the router at the ONT location then i may need to relocate the router to the tv and either run a line to it or be able to plug it into the hub located there and be done with it. link below

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/9c6u...2510.jpg?rlkey=o7id0lk5cd6xg65zrh03nyxjl&dl=0

Dropbox doesn't like me for some reason.
In general the connect needs to go

Modem--router---- switch/end devices/wifi.

Now it is really going to depend if the box frontier uses for the fiber acts as a dumb modem or is actually a router. It tends to be more common to use routers.

You can not really put a switch between the modem and the router because the modem will only allow 1 device to get a IP address.

If your switches support vlans you could create a virtual connection over the cable so it appears as if you have 2 separate cables.

USAFRet

Titan
Frontier, being just rebranded Verizon...you almost certainly can't do all you state.

The fiber line will connect to this NEW ONT.

That new ONT must talk to a router of some sort. Whether you can use yours or must use one of theirs may depend on if you are also getting TV service from them.

But...talk to the Frontier tech before he starts work.
Lay out what you want to try to do. (be 100% prepared for this)
Be nice, and he will likely be more help than you thought possible.
My last FiOS guy was.

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok guys thanks i kind of figure i will have to wait on the installer and see what he tells me. the eero support seems to think i can do what i need to do but they can't tell me what direction to go. anyway we will see tomorrow i guess. i will let you know how this works out. thanks again for the ideas and the help

corvairbob

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2016
ok they installed frontier fiber yesterday and everything seemed to start connecting up by themselves. the fire stick took some time but it did finally connect. then i had issues with my cameras. they are all set to the comcast ip and frontier is different so i emails eero support and they changed the eero to be the same as netgear and all the cameras came on like nothing changed. i;m getting 390mbps dn and 450mbps up so that is way faster than the 76 comcast gave me for 120$ and so far frontier is 25$ but time will tell if they jack it up.