[SOLVED] Frozen underscore in top left corner and 4 frozen dots on top of screen

May 20, 2020
Hello All,

I had a problem with my Toshiba Satellite C655 running WIndows 7.

I was moving documents onto it from another hard drive through a USB/SATA adapter and it was going fine, but then in the middle, it froze. After a restart, the dreaded "windows detected a hard disk problem" came up. I backed up all files and then tried to system restore, but then it froze in the middle of that. When I tried to turn it back on, it would go through the first BIOS page and I could access the BIOS, but then it went to the dreaded frozen underscore in the top left corner of the screen, then 4 small, frozen dots came across the top of the screen with the frozen underscore still there.

The HDD is a Toshiba MK3263GSXN. I scanned it with Victoria HDD Regenerator and found the clusters where the bad sectors were. They were all with the data cyclic redunancy error. I only could remap or refresh some of the errors, but many stayed. I then wiped the drive, formatted it, then used Repartition Software so there is a partition that is healthy and another that is where all the bad sectors are. I plugged it back into the laptop, put boot from USB first on the list on the BIOS, then had my USB with Windows 7 image on it, but it came back to the frozen underscore with the frozen 4 dots across the top of the screen. If I remove the hard drive from the laptop, it boots windows 7 from the usb, but of course, then there is no drive to be able to install windows. I tried putting in the drive after windows 7 installation pages came up, but then it doesn't recognize any drives in the laptop.

Is this a problem still on my hard drive that it won't boot? Or is it a problem with the connection with the motherboard? Is there no hope with this hard drive and laptop?

Thank you for your help!

Hello All,

I had a problem with my Toshiba Satellite C655 running WIndows 7.

I was moving documents onto it from another hard drive through a USB/SATA adapter and it was going fine, but then in the middle, it froze. After a restart, the dreaded "windows detected a hard disk problem" came up. I backed up all files and then tried to system restore, but then it froze in the middle of that. When I tried to turn it back on, it would go through the first BIOS page and I could access the BIOS, but then it went to the dreaded frozen underscore in the top left corner of the screen, then 4 small, frozen dots came across the top of the screen with the frozen underscore still there.

The HDD is a Toshiba MK3263GSXN. I scanned it with Victoria HDD Regenerator and found the clusters where the bad sectors were. They were all with the data cyclic redunancy error. I only could remap or refresh some of the errors, but many stayed. I then wiped the drive, formatted it, then used Repartition Software so there is a partition that is healthy and another that is where all the bad sectors are. I plugged it back into the laptop, put boot from USB first on the list on the BIOS, then had my USB with Windows 7 image on it, but it came back to the frozen underscore with the frozen 4 dots across the top of the screen. If I remove the hard drive from the laptop, it boots windows 7 from the usb, but of course, then there is no drive to be able to install windows. I tried putting in the drive after windows 7 installation pages came up, but then it doesn't recognize any drives in the laptop.

Is this a problem still on my hard drive that it won't boot? Or is it a problem with the connection with the motherboard? Is there no hope with this hard drive and laptop?

Thank you for your help!
Bad blocks/sectors tend to get worse all the time, you better change drive and reinstall OS.