Frustrated Novice Installer

Oct 3, 2018
I installed Windows7 Pro 64-bit into an Asus Prime Z370-A (With i7-8700k). The USB ports don't work and in the Device Manager the USB controllers and PCI Simple Communications Controller show up in "Other devices". Windows won't update the drivers. How do I update these drivers to get the ports to work?

g-unit1111

Titan

No, do not do this. This will install the Windows generic drivers that are not motherboard specific. If you want the specific drivers use the DVD that came with your motherboard and install everything on it. This will guarantee proper operation of your motherboard.

g-unit1111

Titan

Again, use the DVD and install the included drivers first. Motherboard manufacturers include these for a reason. Do this and if that does not work then we can start diagnosing further.

Oct 3, 2018
I have v14.10, the most recent, bios.

Every time I install the recommended driver for the usb (from the MB disk or the Intel website), the mouse freezes and i can't get into the system.

The problem appears to be that although Asus says it supports Windows7, it doesn't and their are no drivers for USB 3.0 and Windows7 on any of the websites, including microsoft.

Oct 3, 2018
The first link tells me the driver that I need to buy and gives me options for where to buy it. The second link has a large variety of free drivers, but I don't know which one to pick. But thanks for the info.

g-unit1111

Titan

No one should make you pay for drivers, ever. If they do you are on the wrong site.