bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure how I can be frustrated when there are literally hundreds of cases out there from at least a dozen brands, and yet I am.

I was hoping for:

A solid, sturdy, conservative mid-tower ATX case, not something that looks like it jumped out of an anime cartoon, price more or less no object, aluminum or steel OK...

No windows. I don't need to impress anyone and Lucite doesn't help with RF interference.

No power supply necessary, I prefer to choose my own thank-yew-very-much...

Conventional power supply location so I don't have to grit my teeth over wire routing or mount the PSU upside-down, which just irritates my increasingly prevalent OCD side...

With 120mm fans only, front and rear, for quiet running, no blow-hole necessary. I refer to the top holes as "food processors" if ya' get my drift...

Hopefully a removable motherboard tray but I can probably live without it...

And USB/Firewire/audio ports located no lower than mid-height since the case will be on the floor (save your dust comments please), and no ports stupidly behind a main front door since it's a good bet the audio ports will be occupied full-time. Side ports OK but left side only.

I was starting to warm up to the Antec P160 even though I find the plastichrome to be distasteful, the motherboard tray arrangement pointless and the case just a bit lighter than I'd prefer. But I think the reset button would need some modification too, to prevent accidental resets from errant fingers. Oh heck, maybe I'd just leave it disconnected.

Any other ideas?

-Brad

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
thats simple...

Lian Li
http://www.silverpcs.com/

The PC 60 sounds like a great match for what you are looking for. PC-60

simple design
attention to detail with the brushed aluminum
no sharp corners or edges
mid tower.
Hard Drive tray slide out.
Motherboard tray slide out.
120mm fans
no blow hole
side glass is optional.
firewire/usb/audio front ports that are not part of the front bezel.
no power supply included.
they are simply one of the best you can get.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
thats simple... Lian Li
http://www.silverpcs.com/
simple designs, attention to detail, no sharp corners, they are simply one of the best you can get.
I wish it were that simple. Lian Li has a tendency to put the ports on the bottom where the plugs will get kicked and yanked, etc. The only departure is the PC-101, which provides top ports but uses a bottom-mounted PSU. Which may not be as much of a cabling issue because it also turns the MB location around, but a left side opening works a little better for me because the right side of the tower will be right up against a file cabinet. The door's ventilation slots don't look like they would provide enough air volume for the draw of a 120mm fan, but I could be wrong. And for $190, no serviceable air filter and no sliding MB tray. I'm trying not to scratch that PC-101 idea entirely though.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
yes that is true but they got yah covered
pc-52
see how you like that one

or
pc-v600
its difficult to find top mounted usb/firewire unless you use the upside down btx type cases. it is typical because the usb/firewire headers are generally located at the bottom of the motherboard.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
yes that is true but they got yah covered
pc-52
pc-v600
Those are not mid-towers - too small. Thanks for trying though.

its difficult to find top mounted usb/firewire unless you use the upside down btx type cases. it is typical because the usb/firewire headers are generally located at the bottom of the motherboard.
Creative excuse but other manufacturers including Lian Li don't seem to have trouble making the wires a few inches longer when they want.

-Brad

Lumberboy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I am the proud owner of an Antec P180B except for the blowhole (which has a shroud) I think this case would meet all your expectations. This case is designed to be quiet. It is an extremely well designed high quality case.

nick111

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Hey bberson I have the same frustrations with finding a quality conservative case. I've not made a purchase yet but have narrowed down my choices to the Antec family of cases. The Antec Solo, P150 and the P160. Let me know what you think.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I am the proud owner of an Antec P180B except for the blowhole (which has a shroud) I think this case would meet all your expectations. This case is designed to be quiet. It is an extremely well designed high quality case.
Except for the top vent, and the ports mounted too low, and the bottom mounted power supply, yeah it meets all my expections ;-) .

Just doesn't meet my needs.

Thanks for trying though...

-Brad

Fireheart

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
It pushes your 'mid-tower' criterion towards the maximum, but if you're putting in on the floor anyway, this might serve - with wheels too.

Coolermaster Stacker @ Newegg

That way, you can put your PSU top or bottom, whichever works best for you, and you can move the power/USB/etc. module to whatever height suits your fancy. It does come with a top 'blow hole', but you can configure that however you like - even disable it, and it has 120s everywhere else. This case gives you maximum flexibility in how you configure it and what you put in it.

Alternately, you could go 'all out' and choose the newest Stacker:

Stacker 830 @ Newegg

But that's hardly a 'plain' case...

Be Well!
Fireheart

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Get the Antec P160, I personally have the p160w and really like the window but to everyone their own. It has top firewire with usb and 120mm fans. You can unplugg the front LED's (which is what I do) and comes with a non-sliding motherboard tray. I also like the stealth drives but they were a pain to set up.

I think this fits everything your looking for and it has lots of room.

Crap, going to have to start reading the full posts, sorry :lol:

Anyways, I've never hit the reset button on accident, even when plugging in the usb's in the dark. Also I keep mine on the floor and the front filter keeps pretty much everything out as long as you remember to clean it out.

69camaroSS

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
The Silverstone is another one of those cases with the bottom-mounted PSU. No thanks.

Which Silverstone are you looking at?????

SILVERSTONE TJ-03

This is the best case out there if you want to top mount PSU. Cooling is phenominal, and it looks very distiguished. Quality is second to none.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
The Silverstone is another one of those cases with the bottom-mounted PSU. No thanks.
Which Silverstone are you looking at?????
SILVERSTONE TJ-03
This is the best case out there if you want to top mount PSU. Cooling is phenominal, and it looks very distiguished. Quality is second to none.
I was looking at the TJ-09, which is the case that was shown in the link in the post to which I replied.

While the TH-03 is a lovely case (really, solid, great MB tray, great looks etc.), if you'll check my original post you will discover that the TJ-03 uses bottom mounted ports which I specifically said I did not want, and it uses 80mm fans in the back when I stated I was looking for 120mm fans.

By the way, can someone explain to me how that front intake breathes when the front door is closed?

-Brad

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
woot! lets see what else thermaltake has then...
dont know how crazy you are about white but check this one out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133023
Not bad, but the front intake slots don't look too conducive to air flow and, hey, what's with all these cases that don't seem to have any air flow on the intake side when the front doors are closed?? Am I crazy?

One could leave off the front door, but then you'd also have to relocate the LEDs. That and cut out those slots entirely to let the front intake breathe. Too much work.

-Brad

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Coolermaster Stacker @ Newegg
That way, you can put your PSU top or bottom, whichever works best for you, and you can move the power/USB/etc. module to whatever height suits your fancy. It does come with a top 'blow hole', but you can configure that however you like - even disable it, and it has 120s everywhere else. This case gives you maximum flexibility in how you configure it and what you put in it.
Thanks for the tip on these Coolermaster units. As you predicted I'm not crazy about the holes in the top. With the older Stacker in that first link I would probably want to close off the top vent with a piece of aluminum stock, and turn the front fan around to make it intake instead of exhaust.

Thanks,
-Brad

Chil

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
In my opinion and experience, even having small slots will be fine for almost any fan. It's just that if you put your hand over it, it will feel like the air is moving faster than it would if there was a large hole for the air to flow through. I guess what I'm saying is that airflow won't be impacted that much, as air will just flow in faster through the slits, rather than a large mesh.

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
In my opinion and experience, even having small slots will be fine for almost any fan. It's just that if you put your hand over it, it will feel like the air is moving faster than it would if there was a large hole for the air to flow through. I guess what I'm saying is that airflow won't be impacted that much, as air will just flow in faster through the slits, rather than a large mesh.
Won't the small slots increase turbulence and noise?

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
how about the Akasa Eclipse 62 or the Akasa Mirage.

Sounds like you wanted what i was looking for when i built a couple of years ago

bberson

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
how about the Akasa Eclipse 62 or the Akasa Mirage. Sounds like you wanted what i was looking for when i built a couple of years ago
Hmmm, never heard of Akasa... [searching...] Ahhh, no wonder, there's no sales channel in the USA. The Mirage 62 seems like a really nice case but the ports are mounted low on the right side which is impossible for me. The Eclipse 62 puts the ports in front, a little low, and WTF, no audio ports there? Oh well, no matter, doesn't look like it would be too easy to get one here anyway.

Thanks,
-Brad