[SOLVED] Frustrating Broadband speed issue

SHOCK77777

Reputable
Apr 24, 2017
I've been having issues with lagging with my Broadband Internet speed of 150MB and just increased it to 500MB but no matter what I do I can't get more than 200/250MB download speed. The other two desktops that are connected are not reaching the 500MB either, but they are getting 350/360MB download speeds. I'm confused as my build is way better than either one of theirs is. I just feel like my system is bottlenecking somewhere and don't have any clue what to check or what to do. I am the only one direct connected to the internet and even tried connecting into the router like the other two Desktops in the house, but that didn't change a single thing. My motherboard does have a Killer e-port and I have tried using it and not using it and using the other port, also with no difference. I have changed all ethernet wires to Cat6 on the modem to router, router to all three PC's, but once again, my PC the better build, gets less than the other two. CONFUSED and FRUSTRATED to no end. Anyone with answers, suggestions, etc. please help. TIA.

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10
MOTHERBOARD:
GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor
PRIMARY HARD DRIVE: 500GB Samsung 850EVO
SECONDARY HARD DRIVE: 180GB Samsung 850EVO
OPTICAL DRIVE: (12X Blu-Ray) LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD +-R/+-RW Burner Combo Drive
2nd OPTICAL DRIVE: 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD +-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL15 1.2V White DIMM (288-pin)
GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 04G-P4-6255-KR, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC)
POWER SUPPLY: 750 Watt – Corsair CX750
COOLING UNIT: Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 120mm CW-9060024-WW
FANS: Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

Last edited:
Solution
In best case you would have not purchased a motherboard with a killer nic. I don't think the silly gamer firmware will affect the intel nic but you see problems like you report on killer nic all the time.
You want to run the killer drivers without the extra killer support. If there is any form of "gamer" network stuff for the intel you want to uninstall that also.

If you can I would test one or more of your pc by directly plugging into the modem. You will likely have to reboot the modem each time you swap. You should get the 500mbps or very close.

It is not uncommon for a router to bottleneck very fast connections. They use a feature to bypass the CPU to get the speed. Many features in the router prevent you from using...
In best case you would have not purchased a motherboard with a killer nic. I don't think the silly gamer firmware will affect the intel nic but you see problems like you report on killer nic all the time.
You want to run the killer drivers without the extra killer support. If there is any form of "gamer" network stuff for the intel you want to uninstall that also.

If you can I would test one or more of your pc by directly plugging into the modem. You will likely have to reboot the modem each time you swap. You should get the 500mbps or very close.

It is not uncommon for a router to bottleneck very fast connections. They use a feature to bypass the CPU to get the speed. Many features in the router prevent you from using this and the router cpu will bottleneck the traffic. Best is to reset the router and only configure the admin and wifi passwords. Leave everything else on default to start with.

One thing we have seen lately is microsoft messed up again with a patch. There is a option called autotune that they set wrong. I forget the the details but if you search autotune you will find lots of information on this issue. Note the autotune thing is only suppose to affect HTTP but people have issues on steam using its special download.

If you keep having issues I would try a old program called IPERF and run transfers between your machines. This is a very simple test of just the network. It is not affected by cpu/memory/disk etc. You should be able to get 900mbps in both directions even on fairly crappy machines. This will verify the drivers and hardware are good.

Solution