Frustrating BSODs on usb image and pc

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Hello, some days ago I started experiencing some bsod loops on my pc, once it started to boot on the windows logo, it will inmediately bsod or show a black screen error and loop.
I managed to download the 8.1 iso from the windows site and then put it on 2 usbs using rufus, I boot from the usb, it prompts "press any key to boot from usb" so it DOES detects it, but when I press it I just see the same logo and suddenly BACK into the loop.

I built this pc 2 years ago and I always tried to take good care of it, I have no idea what's happening.
Here are the specs.

amd 290 sapphire 4gb
Inter i 5 4460
Cooler master hyper t4 cpu cooler
X2 kingston corsair ram 4gb
Asrock h97 anniversary motherboard
Corsair cx 600 psu
1tb WD blue hdd
320 mb samsung hdd(leftover from old pc, never actually used it even if its connected)

And some troubleshooting data

It will RANDOMLY boot up but its really hard, only booted up to windows twice and bsod twice while I tried to fix it.
First time was when i tried to reset into safe mode.
Second time when I was updating gpu drivers(have a hunch its related to this)

It will either bsod or show a black screen error code, bsods have been SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP and INTERRUPT EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.
And black screen error code 0x00000031 with all 0s as parameters
Right now I'm only getting the system thread bsod with a ACPI.sys in the error and the black screen one.

I've tried without the gpu, ram and without the main 1tb hdd and nothing, even if the os is techically on that hdd it still gives me that error.
Nothing seems wrong hardware wise, everything spinning and with lights, no burn marks, nothing wrong in the uefi bios since it shows everything working and detected, varying temps for the cpu.

I honestly have no idea what to do and im going insane, I love this pc, I need it and I cant afford something new right now.
I just have no clue why would I get a bsod with the usb media and the ACPI.sys keeps popping up, I'll greatly appreciate any helo and I'll be here to answer anything.

Thank you for your kindness.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Never had those bsod until about a week ago, it happened once and it recovered so fast I couldn't see the message.
It worked flawlessly after that so I just let it work like that until the next bsod, then another bsod as I tried to upgrade to w10, about 40% in the media tool, and then into the loop, cant enter startup options for safe mode but ir randomly booted into windows again two times, but it bsod'ed as I was trying to fix it, that and not being able to use the usb AT ALL is really frustrating and im completely lost.
I can't update since I can't boot into windows, not even into the startup recovery options on installation media, it gives me the same apci error
Thank you for the answer.

Always had 8.1 here since I built the pc.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
I unplugged the 1tb to try and see if it did anything before, nothing, reconected it and unplgugged the 320 like you said and same deal, select usb, press key to boot from usb, blue windows logo on black screen into black screen error 0x00000031 with 0x00000000 as parameters and back into the loop.

And the info I got from frantically searching acpi.sys and 0x00000031 dont show me that much unless I missed something big.
Again, thanks for the help, im just worried sick.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Using the 320 hdd on another pc works great and I'm able to do an install here, looks like the drive has used space tho.

Any way I can either access or recover the main 1tb hdd by booting from this secondary 320 hdd or wil the registery mess with it?
The main hdd has really important data from sentimental to hard to get, gonna be rough if I'm 100% forced to format it.

Thank you for the help.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Any possibility it could be hardware related?
I haven't tested the main hdd here yet, maybe I could try repair from this pc if it works?

What scares me is a possibly faulty motherboard or cpu, but from what I've googled these show a WATCHDOG kind of error and mine did repaired and booted to windows a couple times.
I just have no idea why the usb works on this secondary pc but not on the one that has the issues and I'm worried about the rising possibility of a mobo or cpu issue.

Could the registry errors run that deep and affect that much? Even without any hdd and trying to boot from the usb?

Will check the hdd and recuva if needed soon

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Managed to boot the main OS hdd on a new pc and seems to be quite stable, ran some tests and found no virus.
Also ran a whocrashed and it gave me tons of info, would love and be eternally thankful if someone understands these better.

On Fri 3/3/2017 3:51:48 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFFD000203FC540)
Bugcheck code: 0x3D (0xFFFFD000203FC540, 0x0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800FCCF11CA)
Error: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check appears very infrequently.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

On Wed 3/1/2017 11:19:18 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030317-47421-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (0xFFFFF803C97A36E2)
Bugcheck code: 0x3D (0xFFFFD0011C7FC530, 0x0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF803C97A36E2)
Error: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: MicrosoftR WindowsR Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check appears very infrequently.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 3/1/2017 6:36:10 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030117-16484-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800E4656A1C, 0x0, 0x6A)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: MicrosoftR WindowsR Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Not quite sure what this means, some say it's driver, other crashes lead to hardware, I still have this hunch it's a gpu driver issue, will run more tests and check and report back.

Thank you.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014

Only gpu driver but had a hunch something went wrong with it, latest hardware addition was the heatsink and that was almost a year ago.
Still running last minute checks on this hdd (bsod'ed a couple times on a different pc so that's a good sign for hardware on the original pc), when I finish I'll boot up ddu to remove the gpu driver and then test it on the main pc and see what happens, thanks.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014

Well that bsod was just my own error on a driver thing.

I did a LOT of things, checked hdd, reinstalled windows completely on this other hdd, refreshed windows on the main hdd, etc.
Sadly, not only the boot from the usb STILL doesn't works but the second hdd with a fresh windows also doesn't works.
From the times I tried, I got the exact same black screen error code as before, managed to snip it before it looped again, also tested without gpu again, nothing, checked cpu visually and removed the heatsink and nothing seems wrong and it still displays different temps on the bios and it's detected and shows everything, moved ram again, nothing.
I'm out of ideas, I have no idea what could it be at this point and it's really frustrating.

Here's the black screen error as detailed on the first post.
Qk45umb.jpg

Searched again for it and still can't find much.
Also, trying to do startup repair on the main hdd on a second computer doesn't works, but after trying an hdd with a freshly installed windows, what else is left to do?

Thank you for the answers.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014

I did, used the media tool from the official windows site and built it with rufus.
I did another test, fully expecting it to be a hardware issue and tried booting with ubuntu from usb, also done from rufus just to test.

Lo and behold, it went perfectly and I was able to fully boot into the try out ubuntu function and I realized that sometimes, it seems like the boot just ignores the usb and boots straight into windows in the hdd.
However, I was able to use repair and install windows on other pc and hdd with that same media creation tool, it's just giving issues on mine.
I will redownload the iso from the site and try it out, maybe it'll work, but maybe this data will help because (I think?) that it rules out any possible hardware issues, since ubuntu is able to load perfectly.
Now I'm wondering how to fix this and what may cause it, will try to redownload the iso again and see how it goes.
Should I keep using rufus or I should use the usb mounting option in the media? I read that rufus was by far the to go option but who knows, maybe I'm missing something and I'm willing to try anything right now.
As for potential malware, I ran malwarebytes on the hdd when I was able to boot it on the secondary pc, also just redownloaded it and ran another test, nothing.

Thanks.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014

Did it with a completely new media tool and downloaded the iso, still doesn't works.
Also did it on a COMPLETELY formatted fresh install windows, it gave me the exact same errors.
0x00000031 on black screen, acpi.sys when I tried to access repair or restart, be it from usb or hdd and lastly, a new one.
I managed to get into the troubleshoot screen that lets you access some startup settings which tells me windows couldn't start and gives me error 0xc0000001, which I'll show later in the post, however, every option led to the exact same scenario, goes into windows logo and then SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (ascpi.sys).
However, I managed to PERFECTLY install ubuntu, and not only that, but it's been running flawlessly for over 8 hours now, no issues, no hangups whatsoever, nothing.
I'm at my wits end, I just want to use windows but no matter what, it won't let me and I have no idea what's going on with it, the fact that it doesn't works with a clean install, several usb, ANYTHING but then WORKS perfectly with ubuntu has me puzzled, it seems like the hardware itself is perfectly fine after running A LOT of tests.
Here's the other error screen I managed to get after changing some settings and checking stuff.
l6WzVro.jpg

At least, now it lets me enter here but none of the options with it work, is there ANY way I can fix this with ubuntu?

I'll forever be thankful for ANY help anyone can give, this is a really weird issue.

Richard15

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Finally completely wiped the hdd, full format from Ubuntu and tried with THREE different usbs and they all had different images.
Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.
7 hands up on "Starting windows" and never moves from there.
8.1 has the exact same 0x00000031 error
10 shows some stuff about ntsf and then reboots, sadly it's too fast to try to see it.

I have no idea how to proceed, the hardware seems perfect, ubuntu is running flawlessly, some super obscure bios setting? Did it wrong with rufus?
I'm stumped on how to fix this.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
could you do a cmos reset also you have a dvd writer so you could burn the os on a a bootable dvd then try to install it on the main hdd . the ubuntu with flawless operation means there is something wrong with system parts so you have to find witch one made this .