jobbernowled

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
My system has been very slow ever since I built it about a year and a half ago. On and off I have looked for a solution but couldn't find one. It takes a good ~10minutes to go from powered on to completely logged in. Starting Firefox takes a good two minutes or so, and I don't even bother with stuff like Photoshop or even Microsoft Office because of the load times.

But once the program has been loaded, it works completely fine with no slow down. I don't believe it to be the CPU or RAM since I have replaced these since I first built it. My current BIOS settings are set to 'Optimized Default,' since honestly I don't know enough to comfortably mess with it.

My build is:

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600

HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500GB

MB: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

RAM: Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

PSU: Corsair HX 620W

GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

Like I said, it has been like this ever since I first built it, so I don't believe it to be anything like adware, spyware, or registry errors.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

well if its runs fine once things are loaded its a hard drive , hard drive cable , or mb driver issue .

If your hard drive is IDE/PATA with the wide ribbon cable with 40 wires then replace the cable with a new one . Since the drive hasnt died in a year its mostly likely the cable