frying an amd xp 1800

G

how long does it take for an amd xp 1800 to fry if you ran it with no fan and no heatsink? 1 minute? 5 minutes? 5 seconds?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chooky on 01/20/02 11:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
With no heatsink...about five seconds or less. According to a review at [H]ardOCP, the Asus A7V266-E apparently has a 50/50 chance of saving the CPU if the heatsink isn't in place.

With no fan...upwards of a minute before it crashes, then perhaps an hour before it starts to eat itself. That's plenty of time for either the BIOS or system monitoring software to take the system down. I've heard of some people even getting it to hold at a stable temperature just using two case fans and a passive heatsink, but I've never tried it myself.

<i>If a server crashes in a server farm and no one pings it, does it still cost four figures to fix?

Thorin

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
With the heat sink accidentaly attached at an angle so only about 50% of it was making contact with the die, mine blew instantly! As I pressed the power button in, there was a pop noise and it went. (And that was how I learnt my lesson to make sure the heat sink is correctly attached!).

Thorin

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
well with no fans running, i was moving my puter and i the wires fell out of place, just the heatsink i booted my axp1800+ all the way into windowsXP when i realized it was too quiet, rebooted and found the prob.

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>