FSB 1333 chips on non 1333 'compliant' 965 boards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
cd14, dumb question, but have you updated you're bios? that may be the route of you're problem, since the latest bios versions will have support for the latest chips. If you have updated you're bios then I'll agree with you and say you got unlucky when buying a Rev 1.0

Hey GeOMan, I have the F12 BIOS installed. Gigabyte says no native 1333fsb support for ver 1.0 and I couldn't get the E6850 to boot either. No matter what multiplier or fsb I used, it just wouldn't boot. The BIOS doesn't show the 9 multiplier with the E6400 installed so I couldn't set 9x333.

I took it back and got a Q6600 for the same price. I was hoping to get > 4 ghz with the E6850 with this board since I got 3.6 ghz on my E6400. I bought it with my E6400 a while ago, so it's the initial version.

It's a lot tougher getting the Q6600 to overclock...so far 3.15 at 1.350v. I need better cooler to keep the temps down.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
Ok, well then that's plane just unlucky, just go's to show that buying a board with "future proofing" features is always a bit hit and miss.

cd14 hope you get the over clock you were hoping for with the Quad, and when all is said and done, the Q6600 and the E6850 are both monsters in terms of performance even if you don't over clock them, sure as hell kicks my AMD 4200 X2 in the teeth (;

arianon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
cd14:

Sorry to hear about the e6850 and your board. I think what happened with the p965s is that the 'circuitry' changes in the rev. 3 are in the rev 2 as well. Whether or not there is a strap for 1333 has yet to be tested on the rev 2. But when you look at the CPU compatibility chart, even though all the revisions are running the f12 bios, only rev 2 and up have the new fsb 1333 chips listed. Although the rev 2 can't handle the qx6850 (according to their charts). I'm tempted just to buy a 6550 to confirm this.

Ari

Mr Alien

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I recently purchased a 6550 for a different computer. It didn't work on that motherboard, so I tried it on my DS3 Rev 1 board with no luck.
The board is capable of overclocking a 6300 to a 400mhz FSB (3.2Gig, same multipier) without a problem. I tried the latest f12 BIOS and setting it manually to 333Mhz FSB but it just turns on and starts the fans spinning flat out and that's it.
It looks as if it would work if they set the BIOS to start the 1333 chips at 1066 until they got to the POST then run at the manually set FSB? For now though it looks like I'll have to take it back (if they will accept it seeing as there is actually nothing wrong with the chip and the packaging is open), or buying another motherboard .... sigh. :cry:

azrael-

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Don't know if anyone besides me cares, but I got an answer from ASUS regarding my question how a Core2-capable, but not yet FSB1333-capable board (I specifically asked about the P5W DH Deluxe) will cope with an FSB1333 Core 2.

The original reply was in German, so for those of you not familiar with the German language I'll do a quick translation afterwards:

"Die sicherste Variante wäre eine ältere CPU einzusetzen und dann das benötigte Bios Update zu tätigen. In der Regel wird bei einsetzen einer nicht unterstüzten CPU die Meldung uCode loading error ausgegeben. Man kann durch drücken der Taste F1 aber weiterarbeiten und dann das Bios Update machen. Dies ist aber keine Empfehlung."

So, in essence they recommend that the board's BIOS be flashed using an older CPU that's recognized by the board's current BIOS. Usually, though, the board will show the message "uCode loading error" when used with an unrecognized CPU. At that point you can press F1 to continue and perform the BIOS update (that introduces FSB1333 compatibility). They do not directly recommend this procedure, however.

The question remains, do I dare do it? That Q6600 is still tempting. Not only is it cheap, but there are no FSB1333 issues. On the "con" side, I do not need 4 cores, and neither does most available software. Still, all 4 cores run, which makes the CPU use more power resulting in more heat on top of that...