FSB E4500 266 not 200 ????

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
In the BIOS, it displays (default), E4500 at 10x and FSB 266.

Shoulnt it display FSB 200 ? :pt1cable:

When i check in Windows (Vista) it display correctly E4500 @ 2.2GHz.

Hang on, i checked in windows gigabyte info and it said,
Current frequency 2000 mhz, CPU FSB 200, System bus 800, system multiplier 11.

It seems to change all the time at "refresh".

Is it somthing to do with intels speed step, etc? :pt1cable: :ouch:

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Shoulnt it display FSB 200 and multiplier 11 inthe BIOS? :pt1cable:

I would use cpuz but i don't like cluttering (sorry cpuz) up my new Vista instal with multiple prog but maybe i might have to :(

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Windows now reads which is correct the following -

Current frequency 2199.98 MHZ
CPU FSB 200.00
CPU System bus 800.00
CPU Mulipilier x 11.00 (6-11)

But BIOS reads FSB 266 and multiplier x10.

I guess it is just what the sensors read at the time with varying adjustments by the CPU and CIE, etc.

I wonder if i turn off intels speed options in BIOS, all might read correct / not changing.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Would the fact that i'am using DDR2 800 ram account for the different BIOS/windows multiplier reading? (note BIOS is at default not OC - what BIOS senses at first PC build).

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I am sorry, but your ignorance makes my head hurt.
Cpu-z is not a program you need to install, it's a self contained executable. You click on the executable to run it.
You would already know that had you actually bothered to read the information on the link WazzaUK was nice enough to provide for you.
"CPU-Z does not need to be installed. Just unzip the files in a directory and run the .exe. In order to remove the program, just delete the files." - From the cpu-z Site -

Cpu-z should show the correct fsb frequency and multiplier, sometimes other programs can give you incorrect readings.

And I don't see why you don't want to install anything in your new vista installation.
That's sort of the reason people use computers... to run programs on them.
But whatever floats your boat you silly man.

tlmck

Distinguished
You probably need to update your BIOS. It is obviously running the CPU correctly, but not identifying it correctly. This often happens with the CPU is newer than the BIOS revision.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

:fou: sorry :lol:

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Mainboard is new, current model, bios should be upto date. Mainboard # GA-G33M-S2

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you don't want to use CPUZ maybe you could divine the information. Lord knows you don't want to pig up Vista any more than it is from the factory. That's the funniest comment I have seen in a while.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

:non: Ha Ha. Jeez i must have hit a nerve. Now at a serious note, where were we :)

I can see now cpuz is a good simple prog.

I had'nt used it before and with some past programs used that left files behind and running after deleting.

I just ran cpuz and shows that the multiplier is changing every now and then between 6 and 11.

Just as i thought, cpu just varying with cie.

Cheers,

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You are correct it's C1E. I deleted the end of my post because I thought it was a little too nasty. You did hit a nerve, the only real way to get good diagnostic information is to use programs.

Plus I deal with that all the time with my partner. He deletes everything to keep his hard drive "clean", and consequently when you need something, even a week later, the as***** has already deleted it. He just got a 500G drive and yet he still deletes files. I think he must be obsessive compulsive or something.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Even brand new motherboards often ship with outdated BIOS. You probably need to update the BIOS to get the reading right in BIOS. That aside, if everything else seems to be running fine you might just want to leave that alone... I'll withhold the rest of that comment.

-mcg

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

OK, guys problem - problem sorted as the poms would say :) (I'am OZY OK :) :) )

Check BIOS and was more than current for CPU in Qestion - E4500.

So i manualy config specs ie. 800fsb, multi x11 = 11 x 200 results in 2.2ghz which is cpu spec.

Then however, i don't know if the above fixed it because before booting i decided to set the BIOS to the OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS setting.

Any way when i returned to BIOS after saving and rebooting all showed correct as default - manual settings dissabled and greyed out.

So maybe it could be a policy to not accept initial mb boot (new build) to identify correct settings, ie load optimized settings and then return and make adjustments as neccessary,

thanks all, s ya

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You are correct, always set optimized defaults on the initial boot before making any changes to the settings. This should be done after a BIOS update as well, as per the manual.