[SOLVED] FSB Overclocking??

soRa_21

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
CPU: Athlon 64 x2 5000+
MOBO: Asus m2n-vm dvi
RAM: Patriot PC-2 6400 800 mhz 2x2gb dual channel
Cooler: Hyper 212x

I was wondering if anyone can explain fsb overclocking a bit. I have this old system that i built out of spare parts lying around i managed to get it running with windows 10 64bit. To my suprise it holds pretty well, and its not laggy as i thought it would be. So i wanted to play with it a bit and oc the cpu. But when i go to bios i saw that you can oc it with fsb overclocking. I've managed to get it to 3.0ghz cpu, and 426 on ram. Now my question is what is fsb overclocking and how does it work, and how high can i go without damaging my ram or cpu?? My own understanding is when i increase cpu clock, ram and core voltage increase automatically or am i wrong?

I'm kinda a newbie to this so if i didnt explain it right dont take it against me :D

Solution
in a nutshell, its is one of the variables that determine total clock speed
FSB or the Front Side Bus X the multiplier = clock speed
in my CPU 1500x
100 Mhz x 40 (overclocked from 35) = 4000 Mhz
if I were to tweak the FSB to say 110Mhz X 40 = 4400Mhz
the problem with changing the FSB is other devices rely on its timing for their timings.
you OC the FSB you OC the PCIe ports, you OC the memory bus, you OC the audio card, you OC the network card, you OC anything connected to that bus, and brother some things do not like to be hurried along.

FSB OC was originally meant to allow some OC ability on CPU's with locked multipliers
if you cannot change one variable, change the other was the thinking
100 x 24 locked multiplier= 2400
133 x 24...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in a nutshell, its is one of the variables that determine total clock speed
FSB or the Front Side Bus X the multiplier = clock speed
in my CPU 1500x
100 Mhz x 40 (overclocked from 35) = 4000 Mhz
if I were to tweak the FSB to say 110Mhz X 40 = 4400Mhz
the problem with changing the FSB is other devices rely on its timing for their timings.
you OC the FSB you OC the PCIe ports, you OC the memory bus, you OC the audio card, you OC the network card, you OC anything connected to that bus, and brother some things do not like to be hurried along.

FSB OC was originally meant to allow some OC ability on CPU's with locked multipliers
if you cannot change one variable, change the other was the thinking
100 x 24 locked multiplier= 2400
133 x 24 locked multiplier= 3192 if you could pull it off, examples only.

multiplier are unlocked on most AMD CPU's and the high end intels.

iff'n your looking for learning, dragons be dam-ned there should be an OC video or two on that board in the aether, I suggest some youtube time with similar chipsets and CPU's to see what is realistic.

IIRC only the black editions at the time had unlocked multipliers, do you have the black? if not FSB manipulation is the only choice.

Solution