FSP Aurum 92+ 650W 80 PLUS Platinum PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Letting ratings that are not met "slide" is not acceptable. It either meets all requirements or it's not Platinum. A fan that runs continuously and noisy as well? I'm NOT putting this supply on my list of PSUs I would recommend or would like to own.
-Bruce

Wolfwerx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"...efficiency at 100% duty cycle is only 88.34% (instead of the required 90%). Similar to the Corsair review, though, we're letting this slide. A miss by 0.66% ..."

Please check your math.

InvalidError

Titan

I see no link to test methodology here. If you have 0.1% accuracy on voltage measurements and 0.3% on current for both the input and outputs, you already have a 0.8% uncertainty directly from your measurement equipment. Then you have the test setup errors: if you use leads between the PSU's cables and your electronic loads and make voltage measurements at the load, you fail to account for wiring losses - you need electronic loads with remote sense to make voltage measurements at the PSU's cables instead of the load's terminals. This can throw measurements off by a considerable amount at high currents - such as when testing a PSU at 100% load.

There is also the possibility that line input voltage, ambient temperature and other parameters may not have been at exactly 80+ test spec, all of which can easily account for the bulk of a 0.66% miss.

Unless the measurement equipment and methodology are more accurate than 0.5%, 0.66% is well within measurement error margins.

Edit: oops, that was supposed to be 1.66%. In any case, the potential for measurement errors can easily be that bad too.

InvalidError makes some very good points. Methodology, proper equipment (Calibrated with certificates), and controlled environment all are key to to any type of testing.
-Bruce
Garbage in - garbage out!

InvalidError

Titan

That's only 75W for 3.3V, 5V, 5VSB and -12V combined. All your USB ports are powered by the 5V rail, so you want at 5A or so there just for that. Many GPUs draw 10-25W from the 3.3V rail for bus and memory voltage regulation, so that's another 5-10A there. The motherboard, SSD, HDD, add-in boards, miscellaneous support circuitry, etc. also draw from 3.3V and 5V.

I think 75W is a relatively fair amount of power budget to set aside for secondary rails in a group-regulated PSU. It "looks suspicious" only because the bulk of 80+ Gold or better PSUs use DC-DC converters for the other rails. Fortron managing Platinum (albeit just barely, after considering unknown equipment and test uncertainty) with a group-regulated design means more affordable high-efficiency PSUs might be on their way.

oczdude8

Distinguished

That's the thing. That's not very good design, which is further complemented by the loud fan.

Now If they do sell it at a good price, then that would be great, but I have a feeling that they will be selling this at a premium (close to any other platinum PSU) just because it is a platinum rated PSU.

InvalidError

Titan

There is nothing inherently wrong with group-regulated PSUs aside from generally worse cross-loading performance. Unfortunately, this review omits any sort of cross-loading and output voltage regulation tests, so there is no data to comment on how well FSP's group-regulated design fared here. In today's 12V-centric builds though, extreme cross-loading from the minor rails would be extremely uncommon so, unless FSP screwed up, I would expect the PSU to still be decent under typical use.

oczdude8

Distinguished

Yes that's true. Crossloading is not too big of an issue these days, and actually I just realized this PSU was made in 2012.... Now it makes sense why it would be designed as such. I just knew there would be no way a recently made PSU would employ this design.

Status
Not open for further replies.