[SOLVED] FSP Dagger 600W CPU cable

Tibor978

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017
Hello,

The PSU's 2x4 CPU connector differs from the motherboard pinout, pls check the pictures. All the pins on one of the PSU's 4pin CPU connector are diagonal, the other 4pin connector matches with the motherboard (two square and two diagonal). Is it enough to use only the matching 4pin connector? The CPU is a 9th gen i5, mobo is a Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi.

Motherboard's pinout
PSU CPU connector

Also, the PSU's CPU cable is very short, can you recommend an extension cable or does FSP has longer cables for these modular PSUs? Thank You!

Solution
Hello,

The PSU's 2x4 CPU connector differs from the motherboard pinout, pls check the pictures. All the pins on one of the PSU's 4pin CPU connector are diagonal, the other 4pin connector matches with the motherboard (two square and two diagonal). Is it enough to use only the matching 4pin connector? The CPU is a 9th gen i5, mobo is a Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi.

Motherboard's pinout
PSU CPU connector

Perfectly normal. We get this question here at least once a day.

Also, the PSU's CPU cable is very short, can you recommend an extension cable or does FSP has longer cables for these modular PSUs? Thank You!

I don't recommend extensions. This is an SFX PSU for ITX builds. What are you using this PSU...
Hello,

Motherboard's pinout
PSU CPU connector

I don't recommend extensions. This is an SFX PSU for ITX builds. What are you using this PSU in that requires a longer CPU cable?

FSP uses the same pinout as SilverStone, whereas the cable is one-to-one with an EPS12V connector/pinout on each side. So you can get something like this: https://www.eio.com/products/silver...x12v-750mm-8-pin-cable?variant=15314460147778

DO NOT get a Corsair cable. Even though the connectors are the same on both sides, the polarity of the connector on the PSU side is reversed.

Solution

Tibor978

Reputable
Apr 30, 2017

I don't recommend extensions. This is an SFX PSU for ITX builds. What are you using this PSU in that requires a longer CPU cable?

FSP uses the same pinout as SilverStone, whereas the cable is one-to-one with an EPS12V connector/pinout on each side. So you can get something like this: https://www.eio.com/products/silver...x12v-750mm-8-pin-cable?variant=15314460147778

DO NOT get a Corsair cable. Even though the connectors are the same on both sides, the polarity of the connector on the PSU side is reversed.

The pc case is a NEXT H700 or a similar/previous model, PSU is at the bottom, 12V 2x4 is at the opposite top side and the CPU cable is only 8inch.
Following the link You provided, i found the shorter, 55cm version of the SilverStone cable that is ok for me.

Thank You very much!

One of the 2x4 connector of the SilverStone cable has pins thats all rounded. Ok to connect this to the mobo? (The MB 12V connector has square and rounded pins mixed.) Should i use this rounded 4pin connector at all?

Last edited:
The pc case is a NEXT H700 or a similar/previous model, PSU is at the bottom, 12V 2x4 is at the opposite top side and the CPU cable is only 8inch.
Following the link You provided, i found the shorter, 55cm version of the SilverStone cable that is ok for me.

Thank You very much!

One of the 2x4 connector of the SilverStone cable has pins thats all rounded. Ok to connect this to the mobo? (The MB 12V connector has square and rounded pins mixed.) Should i use this rounded 4pin connector at all?

An H700 is a relatively big cases and utilized a full size ATX PSU. Why on Earth did you buy an SFX PSU for it?

Can you return it and get the right PSU?

Also, what I linked you to was a complete CABLE that goes from the PSU to the motherboard. What you later navigated to was a 55cm EXTENSION. It's not a shorter "version". It's a different product.

As for round versus square: The round male connectors are meant to go into either round or square female connectors. The square ones only work in squares. That's your "key" to prevent you from plugging in the wrong connector.

Any time you have a connector that serves "double duty" (e.g. a 6+2-pin PCIe that can work as a 6-pin or 8-pin PCIe, or a 4+4-pin that can work as either a 4-pin or 8-pin, etc.) you're going to see some round male connectors where you might expect a square.