FSP Hydro G 650 Power Supply Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjhh

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
I remember FSP being an OEM for older computer vendors like DEC, so they definitely aren't a newcomer to the field. I'm glad to see they know how to build a modern supply.

IMHO FSP has always had a solid but "middle-of-the-pack" reputation; not anybody's first choice, but a lot better than a lot of the junk being sold. Even their Raider units that got very critical reviews were acceptable as budget units in light use. In big box PCs, I'd certainly rather see FSP than HEC or Bestec.

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
I see "op amp amplifier" mentioned several times in the review.
What is an "op amp amplifier"
Doesn't amp stand for amplifier in this context, which expands to op amplifier amplifier?

D

Deleted member 217926

Odd naming scheme for a power supply. Hope it doesn't confuse anyone into thinking water goes well with it. :p

Always good to see some of the larger if less well known manufacturers putting out quality units.

Had this been around $60 or so, it would be on my recommendation list. But at ~$90 I'm not as inclined to recommend it. Yes it is a good unit, but $90 just seems a bit steep for a 650w PSU. I'm more inclined to buy a $60-70 PSU for most of the builds that I do (all at least 80 PLUS Bronze rated). I know that this PSU is probably for those that have extra $ floating around or want more than just 80 PLUS Bronze certified PSU's.

sammy sung

Distinguished
The GQ series seems hard to overturn, unless fully modular cabling is an absolute must for the consumer. I've never had an issue with semi-modular that made me cringe and exclaim that I should have forked out the extra $10-20. Aesthetics are more of a deciding factor for me, and realistically this edges out the HX series for that blue/white scheme, as far as I'm concerned at least.

It runs for $81 now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: FSP Group Hydro G 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($81.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $81.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-05 21:53 EST-0500

Which is comparable to the EVGA GS:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-05 21:54 EST-0500

Between the two, I'd take the FSP. I think I'm going to start making this FSP a common recommendation myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.