FSP Introduces 700W PS2 Redundant PSU With 80 Plus Gold Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
have they made it so that this could be used under normal desktop/workstation usage? ie: how's the noise output on this thing?

alextheblue

Distinguished

Yeah I don't think this is really targeted at consumers. I would bet it's going to be fairly loud. This would be ideal for inexpensive mission critical workstations, etc, that use a conventional ATX form factor. You could use it for a server or whatever you want, but if it's not "shut away" someplace the noise could be a problem.

I highly doubt it. The whole point of this is to be redundant. It's a bit like RAID 1. The system could be running at full tilt using 700W and one side blows up, and it keeps chugging along. I suspect they load balance for OTHER reasons. Longevity/heat concerns, mainly. Both units will last longer if each one handles no more than 350W loads. A secondary reason for doing this might be efficiency gains.

It'll probably cost around $350 I'd assume. The thing is, it's intended for servers but is normal ATX form factors whereas servers are typically 1U or 2U, or if some average Joe is running a server it might be TFX or SFX. I am really wondering who the target purchasers are for this product, as jimmysmitty says. I guess for any people running a server in an ATX case, which does not seem too common, at least among the professional community I would think. Then again, who knows, this unit could, I assume, have some other purposes beyond the scope of my current ideas.

Very few servers are ATX tower based. Most are 1-3U based and they use the replaceable PSUs like the ones for this so I doubt that is the target. I would assume maybe workstations?

They should make hot swap single supplies for consumers. My power supply just died, and i had to take my water cooler out(connector on motherboard was under WC), cut my zip ties, and other crap in order to swap it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.