News FSP Offers 2000W Power Supply For Upcoming Nvidia, AMD GPUs

913.gif

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
2 kilowatts seems to be pushing it slightly. Even with the most powerful CPUs and GPUs, I can't see how any consumer can even come close to that level of usage, outside of the most outlandish (and cough pointless) overclocking scenarios.

i9-12900KS with RTX 3090ti should saturate it with a mild overclock.

Jokes aside, this thing could power three full systems if it had the connections. I bet sales were hit by crypto slowing down, and now they want to sell it to whoever wants the absolute best of the best.

I guess it's for people with more money than sense. Because if you have both you'll know a PSU this oversized is not a good thing (efficiency will suffer because you'll be running at under 10% load when browsing or doing general desktop activities, which is most of the time for most people).

Reactions: Krotow

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
240V circuits can be created in North American homes. You usually find these for high powered appliances or electric vehicle chargers.
"can be created". But my comment was that most homes in North America cannot support it. Most homes, especially the ones built in the past 15 years or so, have the bedrooms all sharing a single 15amp breaker, and the lights on a separate breaker. Something I've had problems with in the past because it meant that my son and I couldn't be gaming on our computers at the same time without tripping the breaker.

"can be created". But my comment was that most homes in North America cannot support it. Most homes, especially the ones built in the past 15 years or so, have the bedrooms all sharing a single 15amp breaker, and the lights on a separate breaker. Something I've had problems with in the past because it meant that my son and I couldn't be gaming on our computers at the same time without tripping the breaker.
Which can be fixed if you really wanted to. Saying "cannot support it" to me also implies that the home taps off from a single phase, but I'm pretty sure most urban/suburban North American homes use two phases.

It can be done. Maybe not with the current wiring situation in a given home, but it can be done.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
240V circuits can be created in North American homes

you seem to be forgetting one important detail. north American homes, run on 120v, less a few major appliances, aka stove and clothes dryer, not 240v. so that would mean the things that dont auto adjust for the voltage change, would be fried if plugged into a 240v socket.

Reactions: Krotow
Jan 8, 2023
2 kilowatts seems to be pushing it slightly. Even with the most powerful CPUs and GPUs, I can't see how any consumer can even come close to that level of usage, outside of the most outlandish (and cough pointless) overclocking scenarios.

kinda old post, but yeah, outside gaming this is too much, but I'm running a GPU rendering rig, 3x 3090 rtx and one 2080 ti.. on a i9 9900k.. that's easily hitting 1600 W, efficiency of this PSU seems like it actually tops out at around 1700W - I am currently running 3x PSUs, various wattage, and it's a real problem, there aren't really dedicated big PSUs such as this available..
I actually had plenty of shutdowns when running some setups, and when I downclock the GPUs they ran fine - still not 100% sure if it's a power issue - but it sure actus as it is..
First time I tried running 3 gpus on one 1600W (mining gpu), yeah it shut down, it was very obvious it was underpowered ..

..anyway, yeah you'd be surprised, but I've been searching for a good psu like this for a while - yeah I did mine with my righ, basically got the 3 gpus for free and some spare change.. another way is to use server PSUs... anyway, this is like a big issue, but on a very niche thing.. not that niche, but in a world of 3d rendering and building custom setups, this is common, well im my world at least..