FTP File sharing across a bluetooth network using Broadcom USB devices

Oct 3, 2018
Hi. I have bought two Broadcom BCM20702 USB bluetooth devices and I have one in my Windows 7 PC and one in my Linux Mint 19 PC. I want to set up an FTP link to allow my Mint PC to access the files on the Windows 7 PC. I have sent a file to my Windows 7 pc using bluetooth but I am unable to get files.

Basically, I want to setup an FTP program to get and send files but not across the internet. Also, the bluetooth device has 8 "connections" showing in the "Local Area Connection Properties" dialog (windows 7). I only want FTP from PC to PC so am I able to use "Client for Microsoft Networks" only say and disable the IPv4 and IPv6 etc.

Thanks for reading.

So let's assume you have an FTP server up and running on the Windows 7 box. That's the first step. Then you need a network protocol between the 2 boxes (Client for Microsoft Networks runs on top of the network protocol and would just be extra if all you are going to do is FTP). TCP/IP is the go to, but it sounds like you don't want to use it. So, now you have to decide what you want to use. After reading about IPX, VINES, NETBIOS (which runs on top of TCP/IP), etc you will decide to go with TCP/IP ... let us know.

Oct 3, 2018
Thanks for the advice. I have had a look at TCP/IP and Samba but I don't want to use any internet protocols (if possible) that could allow any unwanted stuff getting onto my Windows PC. I use Mint for all my Internet traffic and I need to grab or send a file from the Windows PC as attachments (pdf mostly). I will turn on the bluetooth when I need access to the Windows PC, the rest of the time, the Windows PC is on no networks.

However, if a very simple FTP link is not possible (i have a simple link with my web-site server that I access using AceFTP) then I could use IPv4 as long as it disconnected after use. (what about IPv6).

FTP protocol needs TCP/IP. So, you're making your life unnecessarily difficult by using Bluetooth adapters instead of standard WiFi or Ethernet - in end of all, you'd still be running TCP over Bluetooth in order to use FTP.

If you like adventures: You can try configuring Samba over eg IPX ;) That's way, no Internet protocols will be running over your Windows-to-Linux link.

Look into using a firewall on the Windows PC. A good one (well any, but some are easier to configure) will let you block all IP traffic except traffic going to the Linux box. This would allow you to keep the machines always connected and not worry about the Windows PC connecting to the internet.

Oct 3, 2018
Thank you for the advice. It would appear that I need to get my head around the jargon and learn a bit about TCP/IP. I dived into my local University Library and borrowed some books. By this time next week I shall know everything there is to know about networking.

Watch this space.

TRENDING THREADS