FTP Server

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
Here's the question: How can I make one?

I want to create a ftp server so a friend can download stuff from my pc. I have a wireless router so the ip is always 192.anything. This isn't the public ip? how can he connect to me in the most simple way? Is this a safe thing to do?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being such a noob in this matter!

P4-2800->FSB800, Asus P4P800, 512DDR-400, Creative GeForce DDR (the first one lol)

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
How does your computer connect to the internet? I will assume for the moment that you are using a router. The router gives each computer on your network its own IP address, so it can tell them apart.
The router will also also have its own external IP address which is either static, or dynamically assigned to your router by your ISP.

Each computer on your network is given an IP address by your router every time they are turned on. This is usually in the range 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x (x being any number from 0-255). In order to run a server you need to set up one computer with a static IP address (one that does not change each time the computer is restarted).
On this computer you need to set up FTP file sharing software (there are various programs on the internet that can do this and also ones built in to certain versions of windows). You then need to set up your router to forward port 21 (the port used for FTP) to the computer running the FTP server.

Hopefully if you have done all this correctly when your friend types in FTP://yourexternalipaddress he will see your FTP site.

jacky2000

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Instead of setting up your own FTP server, you can use DriveHQ's FTP server hosting service. DriveHQ is the first cloud IT solution provider, and it is also one of the largest FTP hosting providers. The basic service is free and if you need to transfer large files, the premium service starts at only $1.99/month.

With DriveHQ's FTP hosting service, not only you can use regular FTP client software, you can also use any web browser, or you can download DriveHQ FileManager 5.0 client software. You can even map a network drive.

Jacky
www.drivehq.com